Bringing Wonderful French Baked Goods to L.A. - The Croissants, Tartlets, Eclairs, Cream Puffs, Turnovers and More at La Chouquette [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

23 Likes

Wonderful report. Iā€™m almost never in this area, but I must just have to make it out to try some of the goods. :slight_smile:

Was it that the entire sandwich was short and/or that there was little filling? My impression is that the French (and Spanish) sometimes (often?) use long but narrow baguettes w/ what we in the US would consider a very paltry amount of filling. I think thatā€™s just ā€œhow itā€™s doneā€ in those countries, but would welcome feedback from others.

3 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Their baguette sandwiches are definitely on the long thin baguettes youā€™re describing; the ham & cheese baguette had sparse filling. I didnā€™t mind (and rather enjoyed) the salmon, goat cheese & spinach baguette I tried (you can see from the photos that one looked rather full), but if someone was looking to eat that sandwich as, say, a full meal for lunch, I can see the problem compared to other good quality places we have around LA (e.g., Gjusta, Wax Paper, etc.).

I think youā€™re right that it might be how itā€™s done that way? The only sandwiches we had in France were Croque Monsier / Madame, which is different.

1 Like

That was my experience eating a sandwich from Eric Kayser in Paris. The filling is a garnish basicly. Donā€™t mind them like that. But i get how it would seem rude if you arenā€™t used to that style

4 Likes

Here is a link to David Lebovitzā€™s vote for the best sandwich place in Paris, The Sandwich at Le Petit VendĆ“me in Paris. The sandwich in the picture doesnā€™t particularly look understuffed, but it corresponds to my memories of eating sandwiches in France in that it the bread is as important as the filling.
Great report as always @Chowseeker1999! I rarely get to that neighborhood either, but I too may have to make a pilgrimage!

4 Likes

It could be a personal thing based on who makes the sandwich and what their approach is. I find that the pan bagnat at Louā€™s in Burbank are amply filledā€¦but for $12-13 a sandwich, it needs to be a filling lunch for the folks who work in the area. But I have seen them more sparsely filled elsewhereā€¦especially when itā€™s a simple buerre and jambon or a brie/Swiss and jambon filling. When those two types come in to play, I notice that the sandwich is really just filled with those two items and nothing else. Iā€™m guessing simplicity is the golden rule there.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999 thanks for the report!!

1 Like

Thanks @aaqjr @ebethsdad. Good to know. :slight_smile:

Yah if you ever are in that area, give La Chouquette a visit.

1 Like

Thank you @Sgee for the tip in the first place. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too! Who knew? Fantastic @Chowseeker1999ā€¦ and big thanks @Sgee, for hipping us to stuff in our own ā€˜hood. We have Republique tunnel vision.

That bread is called a Ficelle. The Ham & dā€™Affinios Ficelle at Jones on 3rd (beverly-grove) is one of my favorite sandwiches.

2 Likes

i always planned on giving that place a shot! I just donā€™t get out that way often. How is parking btw? I assume its street parking

1 Like

thank you for the lovely write up and photos! ohhh my sweet tooth :blush: will have to try it next time Iā€™m in the area!

1 Like

Thanks @TheCookie! :slight_smile: I hope you get a chance to swing by, especially during the opening window (to best enjoy their freshly baked Croissants, Mazou, savory Croissants / Turnovers) out of the oven. :blush: (9:00 a.m., and a possible 2nd batch around 9:45 - 10:00 a.m.)

Iā€™ll have to try your fav version next time. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @aaqjr,

Thank you. Parking is street only, but if youā€™re targeting the morning window, itā€™s not bad at all (tons of parking), until you roll until the 11:00 + window when the shopping crowds start flooding in.

1 Like

Thanks @hanhgry! :slight_smile: Hope you enjoy your visit as well.

1 Like

Iā€™ve pretty much given up on finding the perfect croissant in LA. Most have been so average to flat out disappointing, and paying $3-5 each makes it feel worse.

Iā€™ll just save my croissant fixes for when Iā€™m in France and Vietnam (yes, Vietnam).

1 Like

a touch saturated with butter, but konbiā€™s are pretty on point when they come right out of the oven

1 Like