Bringing Wonderful French Baked Goods to L.A. - The Croissants, Tartlets, Eclairs, Cream Puffs, Turnovers and More at La Chouquette [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

23 Likes

Wonderful report. I’m almost never in this area, but I must just have to make it out to try some of the goods. :slight_smile:

Was it that the entire sandwich was short and/or that there was little filling? My impression is that the French (and Spanish) sometimes (often?) use long but narrow baguettes w/ what we in the US would consider a very paltry amount of filling. I think that’s just “how it’s done” in those countries, but would welcome feedback from others.

3 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Their baguette sandwiches are definitely on the long thin baguettes you’re describing; the ham & cheese baguette had sparse filling. I didn’t mind (and rather enjoyed) the salmon, goat cheese & spinach baguette I tried (you can see from the photos that one looked rather full), but if someone was looking to eat that sandwich as, say, a full meal for lunch, I can see the problem compared to other good quality places we have around LA (e.g., Gjusta, Wax Paper, etc.).

I think you’re right that it might be how it’s done that way? The only sandwiches we had in France were Croque Monsier / Madame, which is different.

1 Like

That was my experience eating a sandwich from Eric Kayser in Paris. The filling is a garnish basicly. Don’t mind them like that. But i get how it would seem rude if you aren’t used to that style

4 Likes

Here is a link to David Lebovitz’s vote for the best sandwich place in Paris, The Sandwich at Le Petit Vendôme in Paris. The sandwich in the picture doesn’t particularly look understuffed, but it corresponds to my memories of eating sandwiches in France in that it the bread is as important as the filling.
Great report as always @Chowseeker1999! I rarely get to that neighborhood either, but I too may have to make a pilgrimage!

4 Likes

It could be a personal thing based on who makes the sandwich and what their approach is. I find that the pan bagnat at Lou’s in Burbank are amply filled…but for $12-13 a sandwich, it needs to be a filling lunch for the folks who work in the area. But I have seen them more sparsely filled elsewhere…especially when it’s a simple buerre and jambon or a brie/Swiss and jambon filling. When those two types come in to play, I notice that the sandwich is really just filled with those two items and nothing else. I’m guessing simplicity is the golden rule there.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999 thanks for the report!!

1 Like

Thanks @aaqjr @ebethsdad. Good to know. :slight_smile:

Yah if you ever are in that area, give La Chouquette a visit.

1 Like

Thank you @Sgee for the tip in the first place. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too! Who knew? Fantastic @Chowseeker1999… and big thanks @Sgee, for hipping us to stuff in our own ‘hood. We have Republique tunnel vision.

That bread is called a Ficelle. The Ham & d’Affinios Ficelle at Jones on 3rd (beverly-grove) is one of my favorite sandwiches.

2 Likes

i always planned on giving that place a shot! I just don’t get out that way often. How is parking btw? I assume its street parking

1 Like

thank you for the lovely write up and photos! ohhh my sweet tooth :blush: will have to try it next time I’m in the area!

1 Like

Thanks @TheCookie! :slight_smile: I hope you get a chance to swing by, especially during the opening window (to best enjoy their freshly baked Croissants, Mazou, savory Croissants / Turnovers) out of the oven. :blush: (9:00 a.m., and a possible 2nd batch around 9:45 - 10:00 a.m.)

I’ll have to try your fav version next time. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @aaqjr,

Thank you. Parking is street only, but if you’re targeting the morning window, it’s not bad at all (tons of parking), until you roll until the 11:00 + window when the shopping crowds start flooding in.

1 Like

Thanks @hanhgry! :slight_smile: Hope you enjoy your visit as well.

1 Like

I’ve pretty much given up on finding the perfect croissant in LA. Most have been so average to flat out disappointing, and paying $3-5 each makes it feel worse.

I’ll just save my croissant fixes for when I’m in France and Vietnam (yes, Vietnam).

1 Like

a touch saturated with butter, but konbi’s are pretty on point when they come right out of the oven

1 Like