Broken Spanish at Neuehouse

Fucking Menu

3 Likes

As expected Broken Spanish at Nuehouse was just fantastic. All the dishes were excellent. Space was fascinating - but hard for me to imagine there is so much demand for these kind of temporary work spaces these days [Just before dinner I watched Mathew Modine, playing Rick Singer, in Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal run the whole scam on a cell phone from a zillion little nooks and crannies of public and private spaces. But I digress.]

Staff was delightful, especially the guy standing next to the valets who checks your party in (and helped my elderly step-father to the elevator), with many old hands from BS DTLA.

Cocktails very strong as in tasty and well-balanced, though I really missed my favorite from BS - the immense Cazuela for two.

Cocktail Menu

Dinner Menu

Now the Chow!

Refried Lentils

Duck Albondigas

Scallop Aguachile/Tostadas

Coliflora la Diabla

Tamal

Barbacoa

Cicharron
not pictured - was demolished too quickly and it’s been imaged by so often by others

We all loved it.
So glad the BS team plan to stick around and reestablish themselves in a permanent new location.

14 Likes

thanks man. what’s the non-valet parking and mosquito-sitch like?

2 Likes

There were tons of metered spots on a sat night but with the oldsters I had to swallow the annoyance.
No winged party-crashers were seen or felt.

3 Likes

it’s fairly insulated; the dining area is surrounded by a plastic tent with very few openings… sort of in a way that makes you feel like you might as well be eating indoors given the risk. (i’m double vax’d, so that wasn’t a huge concern for me.)

the food is just as exceptional as you would have remembered, though. i cried a little eating the chicharron–which my girlfriend affectionately refers to as a “meat cake”–again

4 Likes

I can’t wrap my head around going into one of those outdoor tents that are basically sitting indoors. I guess it’s for vaccinated people or others that aren’t worried about dining indoors ppl.

2 Likes

We discussed that while we were there. Yes, like many other “outdoor” pandemic set-ups, it was fairly enclosed (3 sides but with one open side and no ceiling) but was also a whole lot breezier then an indoor space could ever be. Also, no HVAC units, which seem to be one of the big culprits in indoor spread. There’s always going to be a continuum of risk, unless you stay home.

2 Likes

I’m no airflow expert but at least having some type of breeze and one wall unenclosed and an open ceiling would probably help airflow quite a bit.

I’ve driven by tents that were basically outdoor buildings all four walls and a ceiling enclosure (like a small circus tent) with small entry way for people to enter and exit those give me the heebie jeebies :exploding_head:

2 Likes

going in I knew the albondigas and chicharron would be great but I was most excited to try the hongos adabados. and wow, I liked them better than bavel’s oyster mushroom kebobs. the mushrooms were juicy, meaty, and smoky without tasting like lighter fluid and I think I liked the flour tortillas better than the corn. best mushroom dish in the city? dessert was also unsurprisingly terrific too.

and it was one of the nicest, mosquito-free, “outdoor” spaces I’ve been to so far. they were completely booked #roaringtwentiesarecoming

albondigas - duck meatballs, nopales, bacon, chipotle

tuna tostada - cashew, chipotle crema, cherry tomatoes, chives, citrus fern

hongos adabados - oyster mushrooms, black garlic adobo, salsa macha, mejorado flour tortillas

chicharron - garlic mojo, radish sprouts, pickled cabbage

match stoneware @NYCtoLA

pavlova - piloncillo, passion fruit, lemon, meringue

mezcal chocolate

no toto

aesop

16 Likes

The Hongos Adobados were incredible @PorkyBelly - the kind of dish that makes you toy with the idea of maybe trying the vegan thing, (at least until the chicharron comes out). Everything we ordered was fantastic (thank you @CiaoBob) with the exception of the black cod, which was a touch too salty and dry and not at the same level of execution as the rest of the dishes.

Arroz con leche:

Dessert Menu:

Looks like their “residency” at Neuehouse has been extended through the end of May. Table is limited to 90 minutes, and at least for our visit on Saturday, it appeared the seatings were staggered. The tables around us finished and left fairly early on in our meal and new guests were seated a short while later. Oh, they also offer you an opportunity to check out an art exhibit at Neuehouse after your meal, but the food was so stellar we forgot about it by the end of the meal. :woman_facepalming:t2:

12 Likes

Warrior: Broken Spanish is one of our favorites. We like the bold but skillful flavors. We have visited more than 10 times, dating back to its downtown location, and only had good meals. Execution is sometimes off. The snapper (not pictured) on our last visit was overcooked. But the flavors make up for it. I could say the same about Bavel if we have pictures from there. The Neuehouse location is icing on the cake.

Peony: We were quite sad about the closure of Broken Spanish and very excited about the reopening of Broken Spanish in Hollywood after Covid! We’ve been to the new location twice! I like the new vibe of this new location - more spacious and lots of beautiful plants. The new menu looks very different from the old downtown menus. We noticed a significant improvement of the dishes compared with the old location. The flavors remain bold, yet they are more sophisticated. They were also quite creative in terms of the ingredients. For example, they used refried lentils instead of pinto beans - which turned out to be really yummy with tortillas! Would love to come back more frequently if it was closer to us!

9 Likes

Delicious report! Thanks for posting the menu!

1 Like

I’ll miss it in its old location, but the set up Chef Garcia and Broken Spanish team have at Neuehouse is very well done (except for the long trek all the way to the restrooms). We got seated close to the balcony, and during dinner service as the sun sets it’s really quite a nice setting.

Again, all of this was pre-reopening so COVID protocols were still very much in place.

Refried Lentils

We licked the bowl.

Albondigas

A favorite from the OG space–juicy and smokey.

Tetela

We each only got about a bite or two out of this, and it was solid. The tetela itself was a bit muted, but the best part was the mushrooms and epazote crema.

Tamal

We preferred this to the tetela. The sauce was super flavorful and while messier, it felt like it just came together better with punches from the feta cheese.

Carrots

Don’t sleep on the vegetables–this mole might have been the best of the sauces that we had all night–and tasted like the most complex dish overall.

Borrego

Fall apart tender lamb shank on top of some forgettable garbanzo beans. The meat was absolutely outstanding shoved into some of the fresh blue corn tortillas.

Bonbons

No idea how long the pop up at Neuehouse will last, but it’s meals like this that make me pray that they find a permanent home soon.

6 Likes

I was hoping you got to try the hongos adabados, highlight of the night for me.

2 Likes

Ahhh no we didn’t—wish I would have known! FWIW the mushrooms with the tetela were amazing.

2 Likes

They were out of the hongos a few weeks back. Disappointing but guess that’s the risk of a 9:45 reservation.

Very, very good meal though. Especially the tetela, tamal and chicharron. Went to Damian a few weeks later, and the difference is stark. Not that Damian is bad. Just kinda flat when it should be special. Damian doesn’t compare to Pujol, Cosme, or Broken Spanish, or Fauna in the Valle de Guadalupe.

2 Likes