Broken Spanish - Chef Ray Garcia's Elevated Mexican Cuisine with Farmers Market Produce [Thoughts + Pics]

Red blend, high acid, natty, light, went very well with the food. They have it listed under Valle de Guadalupe but the winery and vineyards are actually near Tecate.

Brussels sprouts were new to me, great dish. Same for the hongos, which I apparently neglected to photograph.

I’m stuck in a chicharron rut. So good.

4 Likes

Looks like Broken Spanish is now setting up To-Go options, as well as Tamales in bulk!

Broken Spanish Curbside Family Style Dinner:

(Family-style menu includes all items listed below.)

Tortillas- Landrace Organic Corn, Hand Pressed
Refried Lentils- Epazote, Queso Cotija
Tamales- Mushroom, Roasted Garlic, Chile de Arbol, Queso Oaxaca
Brussels Sprouts- Hibiscus Pickled Onion, Cotija, Pepita Pesto
Choice of: Achiote Roasted Chicken or Pork Belly Chicharron
Salsa Verde- Roasted Serrano Chile, Tomatillo, Avocado
Pickled Cabbage- Charred Red Cabbage, Conehead Cabbage, Cilantro
Arroz con Leche- Carnaroli Rice, Canela, Brown Butter Raisin

For Parties of 2 - 6

$48 per person

Tamales and Other Items To-Go

Has anyone tried their Chicharron Tamales or Chicken Tinga Tamales? Sounds intriguing! :slight_smile: (I loved their Lamb Neck Tamales.)

@Dommy @PorkyBelly @DTLAeater @cdub and others?

https://brokenspanishtamales.square.site/?utm_source=Broken%20Spanish

5 Likes

Update 3:

Catching up on some meals from before our lockdown. Since Broken Spanish is doing Takeout with some of these dishes, figured it might be helpful for some thoughts and pics. :slight_smile:

Queso Fundido (Bacalao, Quesillo, Roasted Tomato):

Chef-Owner Ray Garcia and his team have created a nice version of Queso Fundido, using Bacalao (Salted Dried Cod) along with the usual piping hot, oozy melting Cheese. The result is fantastic, especially when we paired some of it with an order of their Organic Heirloom Corn Tortillas: :slight_smile:

These Handmade Heirloom Corn Tortillas are some of the best in the city! Thickish, soft, pliable, with great, deep Corn flavor (compared to the usual mass-produced versions). :slight_smile:

Frijoles (Heirloom Pinquito Beans, Cherry Tomatoes, Guajillo):

Flavorful, toothsome, earthy, the Heirloom Pinquito Beans have more body and structure than many of the usual Pinto or Black Bean preparations locally. This also went well with a bit of the Handmade Heirloom Corn Tortillas (especially dipped in that Guajillo Sauce).

Borrego (Lamb Shoulder, Carrot Puree, Chimichurri, Feat Cheese):

Slow Roasted Lamb that was fork tender, it was meaty and delectable. This Borrego had a stronger infusion of flavor than the usual Barbacoa de Borrego dishes, and the Carrot Puree was a nice complement to each bite, the sweetness balancing out the strong savory gaminess.

Chicharron (Garlic Mojo, Radish Sprout, Picked Herbs):

As incredible as the first time we ordered it! It had been way too long, and reports from @PorkyBelly @robert and others reminded us that it was time to try it again. :slight_smile:

The outer skin is still as crispy as before, and it gives way to a luscious, decadent interior of fatty and lean Pork. It is outstanding! :heart:

Grilled Nopales Salad:

Their Grilled Nopales (Cactus) Salad was a nice foil for the lush Chicharron, slightly piquant, tender morsels of Nopales with a punch of Queso Fresco.

Another Visit:

Chile Relleno (Poblano, Potato, Kale, Lemon, Soubise):

This is definitely a more refined / alta cocina version of a “Chile Relleno,” with the Poblano deep fried and then stuffed with a smooth Potato puree(!), with a hit of citrus Lemon flavors, and sauteed Kale. The whole thing is covered in an ultra silky Soubise Sauce. This is one case where, as refined as it was (and we appreciated how much lighter and not greasy it was), we were craving a more comfort food version. :smile:

Heirloom Corn Tortillas + Whipped Carnitas Fat:

We have never ordered the version of their amazing Tortillas with Whipped Carnitas Fat, but figured we should try it at least once. The consistency is definitely that of Butter, but when you take a bite, there’s a heavy fat taste that covers your mouth. :sweat_smile: It’s not bad at all, but not as amazing as we were hoping it would be (like having liquid Bacon Fat or something). :wink: I think we’ll stick with the Refried Lentils version or just the Heirloom Corn Tortillas by themselves.

Cabbage (Cueritos, Cilantro):

Tart, crunchy, fresh Cabbage, and the bits of Cueritos (Pork Skin) helped break things up, but it would’ve been nice to have more of the Cueritos.

Barbacoa (Short Rib, Domingo Rojo Beans, Bacon, Chipotle):

The Barbacoa Beef Short Rib was very tender, so soft you could cut it with a spoon. :slight_smile: There was a light beefiness, a good infusion of complex flavor that reminded us of a cross between classic French cooking and some herbal notes from Mexican cuisine. The Domingo Rojo Beans were soft enough, but had a nice bite. :slight_smile:

Hongos (Field Mushrooms, Nopales, Salsa Verde, Cotija, Puffed Wild Rice):

Tender Mushroom morsels, the Nopales and Mushrooms and Salsa Verde combination worked, but we were hoping for a bit more fragrant punch from the Mushrooms. Still, it was pretty tasty.

Chef Ray Garcia and his team continue to deliver some elevated Mexican cuisine in a casual setting. Their Albondigas (Meatballs, made of different meats depending on the season (Duck, Rabbit, etc.) have been tasty. Their Handmade Heirloom Corn Tortillas continue to be some of the best in the city, their Lamb Neck Tamales have continued to be great, and for main courses, don’t miss out on their Chicharron (w/ Garlic Mojo).

Broken Spanish
1050 S. Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Tel: (213) 749-1460

8 Likes

Update (To-Go):

Broken Spanish and Chef Ray Garcia have been family dinners for Takeout or Delivery for the past few weeks in light of the pandemic. These sound wonderful enough (with items like their outstanding Chicharron Entree included), however last week they started a new collaboration for Takeout:

Broken Spanish x Burritos La Palma - Burritos! :open_mouth:
(@Dommy @attran99 @A5KOBE @PorkyBelly @J_L @JeetKuneBao and others.)

This sounded wonderful: Chef Ray Garcia’s excellent elevated Mexican cooking with some of the best Handmade Flour Tortillas in the city from Burritos La Palma.

This special collaboration is presented similar to Burritos La Palma’s style: Their Handmade Flour Tortillas are smaller than most, so at Burritos La Palma, the Burritos they sell are smaller (but so good), and the price is cheaper as a result.

So each order comes with two small Burritos.

Classic Brunch Burrito (Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Guacamole, Cheddar Cheese, French Fries):

This was their take on the Classic Breakfast Burrito seen around the city. They seared the outside of the Burritos on a flattop grill to toast up the outside.

Taking a bite: It was a little dense. The soft, pliant Zacatecan Flour Tortillas still echoed what we loved at Burritos La Palma, however, with it being folded up more tightly (like a typical Burrito) and the a la plancha searing, it made the texture a bit denser / firmer than what we’re used to when eating them at Burritos La Palma.

The ingredients were fine, Eggs, Bacon, Guacamole, a bit of Cheddar, but the French Fries included within added too much starch to each bite without the crispiness you might hope to have.

Vegetarian Brunch Burrito (Scrambled Eggs, Poblano Chile, Spinach, Nopales, Mushrooms, Queso Oaxaca):

INCREDIBLE! :heart:

It was very clear that the inclusion of French Fries (without any crispiness, so it was just too much Potato) was the downfall in the Classic Brunch Burrito version. Here, in the Vegetarian Brunch Burrito, there is plenty of juiciness from the Spinach, Nopales (Cactus), Mushrooms, and the Scrambled Eggs can shine more (instead of being so compacted in the previous Burrito).

The addition of the Poblano Chilies, fragrant, lightly smoky, with a good mild-medium heat and a bit of funk from the Queso Oaxaca and the aforementioned Sauce from the veggies let the Handmade Burritos La Palma Flour Tortilla sing.

The flavors were so good, and the softness from the Burritos La Palma Flour Tortillas came through as well! Our favorite from the collaboration! :heart: (@PorkyBelly @J_L @attran99 @hanhgry @TheCookie @Dommy @A5KOBE and others.)

Oxtail Burrito (Braised Oxtail, Habanero, Plantain):

I love a good Oxtail dish, so I was really looking forward to this item. Chef Ray Garcia’s Braised Oxtails are very tender, succulent, a bit of sweetness with the savory Oxtails. Strangely, even though this item listed Habanero Chilies, it wasn’t as spicy as the Vegetarian Brunch Burrito. Still this was quite good and tasty, but after the surprising, incredible flavors coming through in the Vegetarian Brunch Burrito, this one didn’t shine as much. :slight_smile:

Hopefully we’ll see more delicious flavors in this collaboration in the near future, but in the meantime, I’d be glad to swing by again for the Vegetarian Brunch Burrito at least, and maybe pick up some of their Tamales to go.

Broken Spanish
1050 S. Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Tel: (213) 749-1460

Takeout Menu and Specials here:

11 Likes

Agreed! I had this yesterday and it was by far the best version. Loved how spicy the poblano was, it had some good heat and it melded well with the mushroom and spinach. Definitely hit the spot. Love the crunchy top and bottom and the chewy sides of the tortilla as well. Pictured is one of the two, the other was already devoured. :grin:

I also ordered the duck chorizo and it was decent, but not was great as the vegetarian version. I had one the next day and it was better than the prior, not sure why. The chorizo grease did soak into the lovely Burrito La Palma tortillas.

Got a rice pudding and it was meh and sort of pricey.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reportage you too!! I was very intrigued by this… but glad I skipped. I have serious issues about about avocado let alone GUAC in my breakfast burritos… Glad the Veggie one was so wonderful. I love veggie burritos like this…

2 Likes

Hi @Dommy,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Wait, when do you like to eat avocado then?! :smile:

The Broken Spanish Veggie Burrito was definitely worth it, hope you get a chance to try it. Loved the Nopales, Hongos and Spinach with the Poblano Chile and Eggs, and that Burritos La Palma Handmade Flour Tortilla. :blush:

1 Like

This is my question, as well!

Great report. The veg burrito sounds amazing.

1 Like

I like Avocado and Guac as a topping on tacos or salad or taco salads. Inside a burrito NO. It gets warm… whole avocado slides around… warm guac gets slimy and is too mushy to be a proper burrito filling…

Now a burrito with guac on the side to spoon on top or a guac salsa (like the legendary EPL one) to dip… If you must have guac with a burrito… that it s the way to go…

4 Likes

Thanks @Dommy, I see what you’re saying now. :smile: Makes sense if guacamole gets too heated up.

Got home tonight from a long road trip exhausted and with no desire to cook up anything., Being gone most the week our fridge was empty. Due to the holiday… we didn’t think about stopping anywhere over… so before resorting to 'Njuda quesadillas for dinner I opened my freezer and saw I had purchased Broken Spanish Tamales from Surfas!!

Surfas recently partnered with Broken Spanish to sell some of their items including salsa and a few different types of tamales. Due to the pandemic, they have taken out their cheese case (Which made me sad) but have added deli cases were you can find all manner of cheeses, condiments and these Broken Spanish items to just pick up. For convenience sake… I kinda liked it…

I got the Chicken Tinga, each pack comes with 6 tamales and the chicken ones cost $19… so they aren’t cheap. But I’ve liked nearly everything I have ever had in Broken Spanish and all my tamale ladies seem to be central american… so I was eager to try…

Steamed them up in 10 minutes and they came out beautifully! The masa was moist and tender. The filling heated thru.

They are a bit on the small sized, the filling is slight but enough to get a good sense of the flavor. But the stand out here is the masa. It’s so flavorful and has this gentle texure. It’s almost like as if Ricotta had been mixed in with fresh corn.

I had some simple tomato sauce which I put on top to give them a little more contrast. But they also were super tasty on their own. I am so glad i got these, I will have to try the Spinach and Mushroom ones next!

12 Likes

Thanks for the report back on the Tamales @Dommy! We loved the Lamb Neck Tamale dining in at Broken Spanish last year, but never tried these new batches during Takeout. Hopefully the Spinach and Mushroom ones turn out just as good. :slight_smile:

Besides Broken Spanish where else do you recommend for Tamales? Thanks.

Ah! In addition to chicken and chicken… they also sell an Oxtail Tamake which may be similar to the lamb neck one!

For corn husk tamales, my tried and true is La Mascota. They have a really tasty masa. My favorite tamales are banana leaf. Namely the ones at La Flor de Yucatan. I LOVE their fluffy Colado tamales…but it’s a very specific thing that not everyone gets…

Mostly though, we make our own… although now I want to experiment with how we make them… I just looked at the ingredients of this tamale and he just says he uses “Heirloom Masa”. We have some Masienda masa harina… we may try to whip some lard and then fold in and see how it goes with it…

3 Likes

Have you tried Me Gusta tamales (Pacoima, I think)? i think they’re pretty good. I think I tried Yucatán tamales once at Chichen Itza and, yes, they were… unusual. :shushing_face:

1 Like

I have not! I hardly get to the valley nowadays but will add them to the list. I have had all the big ELA and fancy ones. But ever since La Flor started to do Fooda and they had been coming to our office park like once a month I have been getting more than my fill of Tamales.

1 Like

Like you, our house loves La Flor, too!
I may get some next week since it’s been a while.

1 Like

Looks like Broken Spanish and Masienda are doing a collaboration featuring Tetelas. Any of our FTC’ers knowledgeable on Tetelas chime in on this? :slight_smile: (@Dommy) How are they?

(Masienda): "Te-te-la (n) [teh-teh-lah]: Tetelas are stuffed masa triangles that are commonly filled with pureed beans and/or cheese. In Mexico, particularly Oaxaca and Puebla, they’re classified within the antojitos (literally, “little whims”, i.e., snacking) canon, but our tetela whims at Masienda will regularly extend well into breakfast, lunch and dinner territories.

While tetelas are easy to make at home, sometimes you just want to tetela and chill, you know? We’ve got us all covered.

We partnered up with our local partner and longtime friend, Chef Ray Garcia of LA’s Broken Spanish restaurant, to produce a custom tetela exclusively for Masienda. The collaboration marks the first batch of our Masa en Casa program, which brings elevated, prepared masa experiences straight to your door.

Each hand-made tetela begins with freshly-nixtamalized, ground masa that’s made with Masienda partner grower Don Armando’s blue cónico corn. The Broken Spanish team then presses the masa into tortillas, one at a time, spreads a house-made black bean puree across each tortilla, folds the tortilla edges into a triangle and gently sears each side on a comal before it’s finally packaged and vacuum sealed. Each order comes with two packs of six tetelas each.

Suffice it to say, these tetelas are prepared with a whole lot of love.

Ingredients: Heirloom corn, black beans, yellow onion, serrano pepper, avocado leaf, oil blend (olive and canola), salt, lime (cal)."

https://masienda.com/shop/broken-spanish-tetelas/

1 Like

Wow… Looks interesting! I’m not sure if $50 interesting though… LOL!! I thought the $20 for a half dozen tamales was pushing it!! But it does sound like something that would be super yummy to make at home! You can also get Maisienda Masa Harina at Surfas. :slight_smile:

2 Likes