Brunch/Lunch Sunday K-town (or nearby)

Hilarious

While I’ve only visited Sycamore Kitchen and Republique once each, my initial impressions of each lean toward Sycamore.

Republique gets a lot buzz (IMHO) because of the Manskes, the unique dining room, the crazy number of pastries/goodies in the case and the “cache” of some of its menu items.

Sycamore seemed to initially get a ton of praise at first but has since fallen off in discussion. Sycamore is far more casual in feel, the menu more simple and the pastries but a fraction of Republique but the Hatfield name in culinary circles is quite respectable as well. And IMHO, the pastries are better in execution, flavor and texture.

There’s no doubt both places are offering really good things, but the simplicity and lower number of options may be what let the Hatfields put a stronger focus on what they are dishing out.

3 Likes

Love the pastries at SK and it’s cool for a casual lunch/brunch. But the flies on a warm day are unbearable. I don’t get it. There’s a modern invention… Called a fly trap!

Republique, Republique, Republique! I guess I’ll break down and go soon. I’m still pouting over Campanile being gone. I know, I know… get over it.

Unrequited love is a b!+*π… :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the report back @bulavinaka. :slight_smile: What pastries did you end up trying at Republique?

If you didn’t get a chance to try it, they have this custard ball (bombolini) that is amazing! Golden, delicate pastry sphere encasing luscious, fresh custard. It is so good! :slight_smile:

I agree with you about a smaller menu is better / more focus. I liked Sycamore when I went a couple years ago, just been so busy I haven’t been back yet (but want to).

@Chowseeker1999 - That sounds delicious.

Yeah, those bombolins - I believe they had two, maybe three types - were calling to me. Unfortunately my wife played Mitch McConnell and obstructed my proposal - stupid calories. Will hit those puppies up on the next visit - they will be the first choice.

2 Likes

Mexicano is located in the bustling Crenshaw/Baldwin Hills mall. Nice space - smartly nuevo-Mexican interior.

This place seems hugely popular as most tables were filled, including a large party taking the back-half of the dining room. Sorry, no pix, but we ordered the queso fundido, al pastor shrimp, tres moles, Chammoro Adobado and Chile en Nogado.

All were thoroughly enjoyed but the al pastor shrimp was the most favored. My son was against Mexican food last night but is now happy we went - he had the Chamorro Adobado.

And my wife was impressed with the fact that a restaurant with a full-service dining environment serving Mexican cuisine beyond yellow cheese combos exists in close proximity (drive time-wise) to the Westside. La Casita (the mothership) is nice and all, but it can be a haul, especially when the 405 and 105 are impacted so often.

1 Like

I gotta’ remember that place. I heard it was great.

@bulavinaka - Crenshaw Mall also has a great Cupcake place called Southern Girl Bakes. Gotta’ try the Sweet Potato. It has candied sweet potato on top! They also have drive-up service. Makes for easy pick-up for an event.

1 Like

Wow - my wife and son love all things sweet potato. Thank you!

1 Like