Bulgarini: A Non-Pictoral Essay

I was wondering the same thing. Does it break triple digits?

I should have known. I also seem to recall a previous post of yours where you had six flavors in one sitting. Aspirational.

A grand idea. FWIW, Fausto the Sheep was named after a character in Fellini’s I Vitelloni.

Alternatively, Leo was talking about monthly gelato/wine pairing nights that also include a pasta dinner. Could bum rush one of those.

Will do!

5 Likes

Sorry we drew all over your non-pictorial essay…

1 Like

True story: First time I tried to buy bulk gelato from him, Leo actually wouldn’t sell a kilo to me unless I showed him my cooler AND ice. I had to run and get the cooler AND dry ice before he’d enter into this sort of business with me. The man is OBSESSIVE about the quality of his stuff as it is presented to the world…

5 Likes

I’ve noticed a similar finickiness at ramen-yas.

A few of them will only grudgingly give you a leftover container. And I know of at least one Beaverton, OR that flat out refuses any “to go” orders. They will give you a container for leftovers but they will give you the side eye the whole time.

Draw on, brother.

Haha! You remembered… There was one summer visit where I was feeling particularly flushed. I walked in with my food padawan, pointed to the pistachio gelato in the display bin, and said to Leo’s assistant: “See that flavor? I’ll have a scoop of everything except THAT one - and for THAT one, I want one kilo.”

6 Likes

Now, that’s the kind of ballin’ I like to read about! (wait a minute…)

This is gonna go right back to that two dollar noodle pulling dance, isn’t it?

Two bitcoin.

My favorite part about Bulgarini pistachio is the oil slick of toasty pistachio flavor it leaves on your palette long after you have finished. It is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

6 Likes

Shit’s that’s dinner for 2 at Saison with wine pairings!

1 Like

as in pooped out?

so do we know how many grams of gelato are in a small so we can extrapolate how much a damn kilo of pistachio costs?

28 bucks about 10 years ago

1 Like

That sounds cheap compared to Bulgarini’s normal prices.

Given ten years of inflation and otherwise rising food costs, I expect a pint to cost from 1.5x - 2x more today.

Let’s do some back-of-the-envelope math:

1 cubic cm of water = 1ml which will weigh 1 gram (at a certain pressure and temp, but it’s close enough for now). We’ll assume that gelato is MOSTLY water (which it is) and we can fudge in extra later.

so 1 kilogram = 1000 grams which is the weight of a 10cm x 10cm x 10cm cube of water = 1000 cubic cm = 1000 ml = 1 liter.

1 liter = about 2 pints. and 1 kg = about 2.2 lbs (you have to know these things in Canada)

so… $30-50 for 2 pints of gelato.

You guys all rave about it, so I don’t doubt its quality, but… that’s some seriously pricey ice cream.

1 Like

It does seem expensive from an “outside view” perspective, but the quality is such that it seems like a fundamentally different product from most ice cream and gelato.

I had managed to sample a fair number of decent SoCal ice creams before I left, but Bulgarini never happened. I guess I’ll have to make a point to correct this when I’m there next.

Meanwhile I have the memory of Carmela’s chocolate + salt caramel in a still warm waffle cone to keep me happy.

2 Likes