Burbank recs

Mini kabob in nearby north Glendale 8min drive from Burbank.

Best Armenian kabobs in the city. Plus don’t sleep on the eggplant caviar!

4 Likes

thanks hungryhungryhippos, but kebabs don’t do it for me

1 Like

It may be too far afield for you but Bulgarini is a short hop up the 134.

thanks ebethsdad, but thats definitely in the wrong direction

I’ve been flagging things to try / revisit in the greater LA area on Google Maps for years, and Burbank is almost blank. If I’m in the area I might swing by Sivan again to try their regular lahmacun (the lahmacun omelette wasn’t my kind of thing).

I think the deal is that it’s an industrial town. Movies, TV shows, commercials, etc. are made there, but the agents, producers, et al. throw their expense account money around elsewhere.

1 Like

they all go to Smokehouse to do business and then head down cahuenga/highland for dinner.

1 Like

Places in that part of burbank tend to aim as down-the-middle as possible for catering office lunches, Simplethings and Novo cafe and Cafe Magazzino and even Gindi Thai, Jinya, and Grilliant. Lots of lunch meetings at Olive & Thyme, which is totally adequate and totally boring.

Probably not suited to your purposes, but Alameda Liquor has really solid breakfast burritos, I love the goopy old school Oklahoma BBQ sandwiches from Pecos Bill’s, and Adana is all around fantastic - even more for veggies and sides than for kabobs.

Editing to add: I also love Tony’s Darts Away, and Simmzy’s is adequate modern pub food. Coffee commissary has nice coffee and solid cafe stuff, and I’ve heard good things about Nersses Vanak but have yet to make it there…

4 Likes

I love Alameda Liquor - one stop shopping for fish n chips + blunt wraps. High turnover on the Garcia Vegas.

Burbank location couldn’t survive COVID :frowning:

6 Likes

Damn. When writers rooms and production offices went remote I’m sure it hit the area pretty hard. Bummer though, some of the best memories of my last gig were escaping the office for group lunches at that Simmzy’s…

1 Like

Simmzy’s never aimed to be the best, but it was good enough, reasonably priced, and had a full bar. Something for everyone and will be sorely missed.

2 Likes

looking like I’ll be leaving Burbank for dinner…thanks for the thoughts

2 Likes

I will second the Alameda Brekkie B. I’m honestly surprised it is not more popular.

1 Like

If you are willing to head down the 5 towards Alimento, Salazar is a beautiful outdoor (even prior to COVID) upscale Mexican joint. And VERY California. That would be my rec.

7 Likes

many thanks startchtrade…im leaning towards Alimento at the moment

1 Like

Lucky me, I moved to Burbank two years ago. These are some of the “best” places I can think of here, with the caveat others have already stated that it’s all fairly pedestrian. You’ll have to check the current open status of these places.

On the Toluca Lake end (Riverside Dr.) we have a Jinya Ramen. They have a lovely large patio. Also over there is an upscale Thai restaurant called Gindi Thai. They had a nice sunny space where local workers lunched… Unfortunately I can’t compare their food to the other local Thai places because I haven’t gotten around to them.

Chinese: We love Century Dragon at Magnolia and Hollywood Way. Your basic Americanized Chinese. I know they’re open for takeout. In downtown Burbank we like Gourmet 88 well enough.

Hollywood Way BBQ is fine and they’ve set up a large tented outdoor area. Ribs USA is also good barbecue, I know they’re doing takeout.

For Italian we like Ma’s Italian Kitchen which is in the shopping center with Lotus and Light.

If you’re around in the daytime, get takeout from World Empanadas and especially the tiny Le French Rooster for authentic French pastries, sandwiches, and crepes from a husband and wife team.

3 Likes

thanks avivale, I’m getting out of Burbank ASAP!

1 Like

Good call! :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah don’t bother, go to North Hollywood where there is a surprising quantity of above average legit thai restaurants.

5 Likes

Any specific recommendations?

1 Like

i personally like:
chiang mai thai kitchen
pa ord zapp ver

others to keep on hand:
krua thai
sri siam
kim thai food

6 Likes