Butter on bagels?

[quote=“Midlife, post:8, topic:4741”]
Do people really eat bagels with butter AND cream cheese… at the same time???
[/quote]Did you just read that people do?

There… Is that a thoughtful enough response for you?

Timeout everyone.

I mentioned up above that this isn’t a thread for judgements about what people put on bagels. You want to judge, start your own thread.

I’m just trying to get basic information without making judgments.

Thank you.

4 Likes

The only thing worse than butter is margine because it aspires to be butter!! Yuck!!!

Sorry. I didn’t realize that asking why was not allowed. Or that it might result in such an apparently emotional response. I’ve spent a lot of years around a lot of people and a lot of bagels, and have never seen it done. Lo siento.

I use this line all the time on my kid/step kids, and with more adults than I should have to. Words to live by.

2 Likes

It’s okay ipse. I’m not upset. I’m actually amused. And just giving it back to Mr. Midlife, who acts like it’s an innocent question, but is really being a…

If you’re referring to me asking if you and Thor are insane - it was tongue in cheek (teasing). I wish I didn’t love butter so much myself.

That wasn’t the comment I was responding too. But if you genuinely want to know, I’ll tell you. First I’ll say, it works better on an english muffin. I like the thin layer of salty, melted butter, then a big schmear of cream cheese on top. It just tastes good to me :slight_smile:.

1 Like

ITheCookie - I was really being … what? I actually did find the combo to be very much beyond my own experience and really wouldn’t ever think it was something people did. I understand that people are free to eat whatever they wish. If someone wants to put ketchup in their wine so be it. I WILL ask why though. And no, I’m not really equating ketchup in wine to butter and cream cheese on a bagel. Just trying to make my point. Hopefully we can put this kerfuffle behind us.

Okay then. You were being a… very inquisitive person. Who can be mad at a person who uses the word kerfuffle? Let’s shake hands over a bagel with butter & cream cheese and a bottle of wine with ketchup… Heinz.

2 Likes

Done!

3 Likes

Margarine is bad for you and in almost all ways inferior to butter except for some stuff which requires long slow cooking time and works better without the milksolids to mess things up and you’ll get stuff that’s a clear green instead of all cloudy and will get better extraction so more potent edibles. Shortening is also good for this.

I mean, if you do that kind of thing. For medicinal reasons at least until next year.

2 Likes

The modern sarcastic youth version is “Yeah, fuck that guy for liking a thing!” which I like because it makes whoever you said stop and think about it for a second.

And, of course, “Haters gonna hate…”

5 Likes

I’m going to use that.

2 Likes

Very scientific.

I was going to mention the health thing. But since he doesn’t like either I didn’t bother. It’s true though. For people who eat margarine over butter for health reasons, you might want to rethink. I read if you left a tub of margarine in the trunk of your car for 10 years it wouldn’t spoil.

I wonder if that trunk trick would work on certain people?

1 Like

Nope. A lot of kicking and screaming, then silence. It’s called “trunk music”.

Well, ipse. You never know where a threads gonna’ go.

2 Likes

Me too. But never ever “haters gonna hate.”

Butter + ham

Cream cheese + salami

Butter + lettuce

Cream cheese + tomato

Butter + smoked oysters

Cream cheese + smoked fish

Why do we follow the rules? Because it keeps us ALIVE.

2 Likes

Butter with maldon

4 Likes

To add another 2 cents to this thread:

I think butter tastes great on/with many things.

Cream cheese, for me, is only tasty on bagels—preferably w/ lox, red onion & capers (although it is also good as cheesecake. lol. but that has nothing to do w/ bagels).

I also like to melt cheese on a sliced bagel (bake, then broil to get the top bubbly/crunchy). Favorite cheeses for this are usually jarlsburg, swiss or cheddar (sliced/processed american can be good as well. it forms a puffy pocket while heating and has a nice plastic exterior when it cools……) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes