California grown Tamanishiki, Koshihikari rice shootout?

Matsuri Golden Koshihikari

1 Like

Ah yes missed that. Best of the lot?

2 Likes

I like it a lot. Even the brown rice is soft and fluffy.

I do prefer over Tamaki.

2 Likes

:open_mouth::flushed:

It was time to replenish my rice. Actually that’s a lie. This topic has been stubbornly stuck in my head like a song, so ordered the matsuri. I cooked one rice cupful in my zojirushi cooker, rinsed but not presoaked. This is my usual method. Compared to my tamanashiki rice the matsuri seemed more consistently tender, with less of the slightly dry texture of cooked rice lining the bottom and side of the cooking vessel that gets sort of leathery when kept on keep warm for several hours. Since I’m usually cooking for one, and in smaller yields, that outer layer texture can be annoying, so I welcome the change, though it is minor to be honest. Tastes great! Itch scratched.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl: ::rofl:

Thanks for the detailed report @augustiner, now it’s starting to ring in my head. Might have to get a mini sized Mastsuri myself. :smile:

Look like Matsuri is the leading contender so far.

Yes I think so.

I buy the Echigoya Koshihikari brown rice from Japan. Had no idea what any of the words referred to, until now. So Koshihikari is a variety?

FWIW, Chef Brandon Go of LA’s superb Hayato recommends Tamaki Gold.

2 Likes

Edit: Tamaki Gold is what Chef Brandon recommends for everyday use, it is not what he himself uses at his restaurant (which is some crazy-expensive Japanese import).

1 Like

That was my go-to until I bought a bag of the Matsuri Golden Koshihikari mentioned above.

I find it pretty hard to discern a difference since I’m not able to do a side -by-side blind comparison.

That said, I guess I will probably go back to the Tamaki Gold as I think the grains cook up with just a bit more bite with my method than when I use the Matsuri Golden. I think . . . maybe . . .

Marukai on Pico will regularly have small bags of some pretty special rice imported from Japan. The per-ounce price is pretty wild, but the cost to try is still reasonable.

I order rice fresh-milled on the spot from The Rice Factory in Honolulu:

trf-us.com/en

Mainly been eating Yumepirika from Hokkaido. It even does fine with sushi (using their Iio-Jozo sushizu).

2 Likes

Great resource! That is some spendy grain right there but I might just have to give it a go.

They’re a great little shop - I like patronizing them and we always get a bag when we go to Hawaii. I actually haven’t tried shipping it yet so I have no experience with that, since I’m in Hawaii enough times a year that I don’t run out.

It also makes for a good Portuguese sausage (or Spam), eggs, and rice breakfast with a little soy on the eggs, furikake on the rice. With papaya and lime on the side (or highly recommend a chilled, overripe hachiya persimmon), and some good coffee and you feel like you’re basically ready to plan your day at the beach after you’re done with breakfast.

3 Likes

Just checked. $20 shopping. That puts a 10lb bag at about $51 all in.
Gotta stick with the local stuff for now!
If I’m in Hawaii I know my luggage is going to be HEAVY on the way back to LA.

At Toyko Central for $29.98. They claim it’s ~$6 cheaper than at Mitsuwa.

They also have these bags. 11 lb bags.

1 Like

Currently on rotation, local supermarket was having a new year sale

I have to say, the rice from Japan seems to have a nicer texture and visual profile after cooking vs CA grown. Glossy, nice plump individual grains, rice type al-dente texture.

2 Likes

Wow. Just. Wow.

I need to find some of that rice!

Comparison of rice stock currently on hand

L to R
Brown rice - Japan
Matsuri Koshihikari - CA
Echizenmai Koshihikari - Japan
Uonuma Koshihikari - Japan

The Japanese grown grains appear to be ~ 10-20% larger. The Uonuma on the far right has the most uniform polishing of the lot.

4 Likes

hokkaido nanatsuboshi

tamaki gold koshihikari

tamaki gold koshihikari (left), hokkaido nanatsuboshi (right)

tamaki gold koshihikari

hokkaido nanatsuboshi

7 Likes