California grown Tamanishiki, Koshihikari rice shootout?

I got it freshly milled and polished at the rice factory in honolulu and smuggled it back in my carry-on.

2 Likes

NY based online shopping site for the rice factory

1 Like

This reminds me of the time that I had some Japanese friends over and I made gumbo, they love my gumbo, but I went to the 99 cent store and got some rice. They were pissed. One of them left and went got some good rice. :laughing:
I was so ignorant I thought all rice was created the same.

7 Likes

You can one-up them with some Carolina gold in your gumbo next time :wink:

6 Likes

i wonder if you can get it locally in LA. Maybe Surfas I know they carry some Anson Mills products

I had kind of the reverse experience.

My Japanese neighbors had told me about a new Japanese restaurant nearby (now gone.)

I went, it was great, but what blew me away was the rice. It was just SO good. So I had to talk to them about it afterwards and ask “Are there different types of rice?”

They were so happy (and stunned) that I had noticed - it gave me much cred : )

4 Likes

Online - $7 a pound. Wow.

https://ansonmills.com/products/23

1 Like

an affordable luxury :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How many cups is 14oz?

After she bought some, I could tell the difference big time. Also, I shouldn’t say theywere pissed, more offended. lol

1 Like

:laughing:

1 Like

My buddy from Honolulu is coming over next month. Yelp pictures look amazing. Anything I should ask him to smuggle back besides rice?

perhaps a sukeroku bento from sushi sho?

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/b/2/b26a63b79b2d184e7cf6c0d1bc430cef34aa681c.jpeg

6 Likes

@PorkyBelly it’s all your fault :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

also some mochi from nisshodo candy store

Does this guy fit in the luggage?

1 Like

Pineapple

Looking forward to trying the new to me Yumeprika rice from Hokkaido

3 Likes

Didn’t realize they came pre portioned. Interesting

1 Like

HA! I am just discovering this thread. I discovered the same thing when I last went to Tokyo central and bought a new to me bag of Japanese rice. We don’t have space for big bags of rice, so I buy smaller bags of Japanese import. Our everyday rice is Haiga rice, which is semi polished. It just has the right texture, taste and bite out of Zojirushi rather than the fancy super polished Japanese stuff which I tend to cook stove top. We prefer the Tamaki Haiga to the Nishiki Haiga. Our other staple is Uncle Bens. Perfect everytime and I personally love it in fried rice.

1 Like