California grown Tamanishiki, Koshihikari rice shootout?

I order rice fresh-milled on the spot from The Rice Factory in Honolulu:

trf-us.com/en

Mainly been eating Yumepirika from Hokkaido. It even does fine with sushi (using their Iio-Jozo sushizu).

2 Likes

Great resource! That is some spendy grain right there but I might just have to give it a go.

They’re a great little shop - I like patronizing them and we always get a bag when we go to Hawaii. I actually haven’t tried shipping it yet so I have no experience with that, since I’m in Hawaii enough times a year that I don’t run out.

It also makes for a good Portuguese sausage (or Spam), eggs, and rice breakfast with a little soy on the eggs, furikake on the rice. With papaya and lime on the side (or highly recommend a chilled, overripe hachiya persimmon), and some good coffee and you feel like you’re basically ready to plan your day at the beach after you’re done with breakfast.

3 Likes

Just checked. $20 shopping. That puts a 10lb bag at about $51 all in.
Gotta stick with the local stuff for now!
If I’m in Hawaii I know my luggage is going to be HEAVY on the way back to LA.

At Toyko Central for $29.98. They claim it’s ~$6 cheaper than at Mitsuwa.

They also have these bags. 11 lb bags.

1 Like

Currently on rotation, local supermarket was having a new year sale

I have to say, the rice from Japan seems to have a nicer texture and visual profile after cooking vs CA grown. Glossy, nice plump individual grains, rice type al-dente texture.

2 Likes

Wow. Just. Wow.

I need to find some of that rice!

Comparison of rice stock currently on hand

L to R
Brown rice - Japan
Matsuri Koshihikari - CA
Echizenmai Koshihikari - Japan
Uonuma Koshihikari - Japan

The Japanese grown grains appear to be ~ 10-20% larger. The Uonuma on the far right has the most uniform polishing of the lot.

4 Likes

hokkaido nanatsuboshi

tamaki gold koshihikari

tamaki gold koshihikari (left), hokkaido nanatsuboshi (right)

tamaki gold koshihikari

hokkaido nanatsuboshi

7 Likes

Do you blend different strains when cooking?

I haven’t yet, I was just conducting a completely non-scientific, non-controlled, non-blind, side-by-side, back-to-back taste test… 24 hours apart.

To my untrained palate the nanatsuboshi was a bit more firm and less sticky than the koshihikari.

Fun fact: the nanatsuboshi is the rice of choice at sushi sho.

5 Likes

Thanks for the hi-res pics, @PorkyBelly. We are always on the lookout for good, fresh rice. Where did you get the Nanatsuboshi?

1 Like

I got it freshly milled and polished at the rice factory in honolulu and smuggled it back in my carry-on.

2 Likes

NY based online shopping site for the rice factory

1 Like

This reminds me of the time that I had some Japanese friends over and I made gumbo, they love my gumbo, but I went to the 99 cent store and got some rice. They were pissed. One of them left and went got some good rice. :laughing:
I was so ignorant I thought all rice was created the same.

7 Likes

You can one-up them with some Carolina gold in your gumbo next time :wink:

6 Likes

i wonder if you can get it locally in LA. Maybe Surfas I know they carry some Anson Mills products

I had kind of the reverse experience.

My Japanese neighbors had told me about a new Japanese restaurant nearby (now gone.)

I went, it was great, but what blew me away was the rice. It was just SO good. So I had to talk to them about it afterwards and ask “Are there different types of rice?”

They were so happy (and stunned) that I had noticed - it gave me much cred : )

4 Likes

Online - $7 a pound. Wow.

https://ansonmills.com/products/23

1 Like

an affordable luxury :slight_smile:

2 Likes