Calo in El Segundo/MB - worth a quick stop?

Preface: my cousin from Hiroshima is coming through LA with a tour group. We only have her for dinner - approximately from about 5PM-11PM. While we don’t want to overwhelming her by trying to cover too much ground, we also want to give her a little more than a hi-bye expereince.

She’s already said that she’d like to spend time with us at our home for dinner. She left the “menu” up to me. Hiroshima is sort of the country bumpkin cousin to places like Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. So one is not going to find the breadth and depth of food that is available in those major cities.

So far, Bludso’s has been well received by our out of town guests. Pretty unique by Asia standards yet not too far out flavor-wise. I’m planning on grabbing a party tray during lunch time at Bludso’s Bar & Que for dinner at home. Will probably fortify that with some homemade cornbread (and of course rice for what she will crave with the bbq/sides). Will grab a passion fruit/raspberry cream pie at Republique for dessert.

Her group is staying at a hotel in the South Bay - I think it’s around Lawndale/Torrance area. While I considered the ton of Indian/Pakistani places nearby, it might be overwhelming to her tastes.

I thought it might be nice to briefly hit happy hour before heading home in the Westside. - drink or two to help smooth the edges of travel. A friend mentioned that Calo on Rosecrans has margaritas and pretty good ceviche and for a brief stop. Calo seems safe enough. Any thoughts? Feel free to chime in about my plans in general as well. Thank you for your advice and help.

If you are near the el segundo area pick up some slices from il romanista. Not sure how much exposure Hiroshima has to roman style pizza but I feel that it would be well received and a great appetizer (esp if they don’t eat cheese). They travel well and probably not overwhelming in flavor/taste to your cousin.

Also Old Man Bar (off washington in west culver) or the bar at hatchet hall might also fit the bill for a nice cocktail. Never been to Calo but it looks like restaurant bar, more than a bar bar.

2 Likes

maybe gjrab a fish plate from gjusta?

2 Likes

Jame Enoteca for a nice plate of pasta (or five)…

Langer’s pastrami on rye (to go), for something I cannot ever get in Japan…

Il Romanista pizza to go also in El Segundo (good if home entertaining is what’s planned)…

2 Likes

Isn’t Langer’s where Chef Brandon from Hayato took Ishikawa-san? I heard he really enjoyed it.

1 Like

yep

2 Likes

Delicious is delicious - simple as that.

2 Likes

Il Romanista is a great suggestion - totally slipped my mind.

Old Man Bar/Hatchet Hall might be worthy. Cousin wishes to have dinner at our home. I googled Old Man Bar - not sure how accurate the online info is but they supposedly open at 8PM - too late for our purposes.

1 Like

Gjusta’s fish would be unique - thanks. Seriously doubt this type of prep at this caliber exists in Hiroshima.

Jame Enoteca is worthy. Only problem is my cousin wants to eat at our home. Might consider it for a quick bite but they open at 5:30PM if I recall.

The Langer’s idea is great. But their hours won’t work. And I’m reluctant to get their components to go. I recall you have done so. Any pro tips?

I’ve gotten their pastrami to go and a sandwich to go before. The sandwich plain may be okay if consumed the same day. The pastrami by itself warmed up well in the oven in a foil packet, but I may try sous vide-ing it the next time I get it to go just to experiment.

Get the components separately and assemble the sandwiches at home. Buy pastrami and corned beef by the pound and a loaf of bread. Ask the guys at the counter for the right heating instructions to get the crunchy crust on the rye bread. Pickles are expensive but also sold at the counter.

Another option if you want to eat at home is Bludso’s at Proud Bird. The BBQ is still very good. Not as good as I remembered from Compton but still a good option. Can buy meats by the pound and sides.

1 Like

Doesn’t Langer’s have their special prep of the rye bread - I think it’s called steam toasting? I’m wondering if not replicating this is a major issue.

1 Like

Can you take Coni Seafood to go? Their Pescado Zarandeado? From what I remember, you couldn’t really find Mexican in Japan.

1 Like

Thanks @js76wisco. I recall the reports about Bludso’s counter at the Proud Bird being luke warm at best - nixed this place from my list.

I feel the sides at Bar & Que are a step up from the Compton location. What’s your view on the sides at the Proud Bird location?

@Hungrydrunk, we really like Coni. We have taken the PZ to go and it works. The problem with the Centinela location is the inconsistency in their hours. We were going to eat their last Saturday. As we drove up at around 8PM, they were closed.

1 Like

Haven’t been to La Brea to compare. I never thought the sides at Bludso’s were great except for the collareds and beans. Our group liked the collareds and beans at Proud Bird. The collareds still had a nice kick. The mac and cheese is forgettable. Corn bread is a huge hunk of bread. Moist and good crust on the outside. A piece can easily be split between 3-4 humans.

The Proud Bird brisket and chicken were our favorites. I thought the brisket was on par with Compton. They’ve been out of hot links each time we’ve been. The ribs were on the dryish side and I probably would stick with brisket and chicken.

1 Like

@js76wisco is right. I think if you ask the guys at Langer’s, you may be able to replicate it at home.

2 Likes

@attran99, sounds good. Between Langer’s and Gjusta being recs, my original plans of “Mexican” happy hour/“American” bbq night could morph into Jewish deli night.

1 Like

We went to the Inglewood/Imperial location just two weeks ago and it was as good as always. Got the PZ and our guests were just delighted… Super easy on and off the 105.

1 Like