Cambodian-owned donut shops and Chinese food

5 Likes

That is an amazing read. It would make a great movie.

3 Likes

Cambodian donuts are pretty much California donuts at this point then hilariously enough. They taste a hell of a lot better than Dunkin’s crap. Not sure how the rest of the country got bamboozled into that shit.

2 Likes

@Chowseeker1999 Check out the article posted a few posts up. That will give you more insight.

1 Like

Hi @attran99, @WesSabi,

Thanks for the article. Long, but an interesting read. :slight_smile: I had no idea most of the indie donut shops in California were Cambodian-owned. Wow.

1 Like

Stumbled across this article that addresses Cambodian-owned donut shops and Chinese food:

And this one, too:
http://luckypeach.com/khmerican-food/

And from 1995 and the NYT:

Also happening in Texas (and an interesting side note in there about how the hours one’s required to keep to own/run a donut store makes it difficult to have a social life and integrate into the community):

And a profile of the Donut King, from the Phnom Penh Post, with an interesting bit about the recession in 2009, plus the increased deportation of undocumented immigrants to Mexico (apparently they were big patrons out the donut stores), and how that affected the businesses:

@ipsedixit, should this stuff be split off?

3 Likes

Split, as requested.

Carry on!

1 Like

I don’t know what Cambodian donuts are . Donuts made by Cambodians ? Who cares . Great story . Escape , work , saving 20k from working at Winchell’s donuts . Down payment . More work ,money , money , money ,gambling , losing , more to the story . And at 74 has a 19 year old girlfriend . Wow . Good for him . A true entrepreneur .

1 Like

For another food related success story, Google: Lee’s Sandwiches, read the wiki page.

1 Like

[quote=“Bookwich, post:2, topic:5093, full:true”]
That is an amazing read. It would make a great movie.
[/quote]It would be way more interesting than a movie about a woman who invents a self-wringing mop.

1 Like

I guess this is probably the best place to post this LAist article about Ted Ngoy and The Donut King movie which officially comes out today.

6 Likes

Just finished it last night. Thought it was wonderful, although I’d like to have been told what Ted’s been up to since losing his fortune.

4 Likes

I believe he went back to Cambodia and tried to run for president and lost and lost his fortune gambling. Became penniless and then he started consulting and connecting Cambodian businesses to outside investment. I read an article years ago and he was still poor but it looks like he’s doing a lot better now.

4 Likes

And Mayly announced this awhile ago but she was on NPR this morning talking about her mom selling DK’s Donuts.

2 Likes
2 Likes