Camphor - Arts District

“Soft” opening?

1 Like

novelty aside, would go to Camphor over say, Redbird?

I am a fan of the peacock rating system.

6 Likes

Warrior: Nice people — I hope they make it. While the dishes show effort and creativity, I feel they need more work. For example, while the little shrimps have good flavor, they do not seem like a complete dish to me. It is odd to eat scoops of little shrimps with a fork; something is missing. I have similar impressions of every dish we tried; nothing quite nailed it for me. I think the restaurant has potential and would go back to see how it has evolved. The prices, which include 20% gratuity, seem pretty fair.

sorry, I haven’t been to redbird for a long time, so I wouldn’t be able to recommend one over the other.

amuse - chickpea mousse, lentil shell

beef tartare, herb tempura
really good, I was impressed how sturdy and crisp the thin tempura was.

baby shrimp, gunpowder

mackerel salad, mustard dressing
they swapped out the aji they were using before with saba and I thought the meatier, larger slices held up a lot better to the mustard.

mussels, white wine, bacon
highlight of the night, perfectly seasoned plump and meaty pei mussels. the fries are the thin, all crisp kind. I would have preferred a less brittle fry that I could use to soak up the sauce.

steak au poivre
least favorite entree, I believe this was a strip loin, it was lean and a bit tough, and didn’t love the sauce, it had a slight bitterness to it.

glazed vegetables with truffle

kiwi, mint
marzipan, meyer lemon ice cream

11 Likes

Love the slot machine jackpot/domino effect - your emojis look like they’re about to pass out :joy:

Definitely ordering this dish when I go.

Hoping some of the desserts from the Nightshade days like the white marbled chocolate over guava filling make an appearance.

I rather like the risks the Alain Ducasse alums are taking. This brings to mind, Dyan Ng, whose Ducasse training was on display during her tenure at the now shuttered Auburn - truly miss her work.

8 Likes

That’s what the bread is for. Limp fries in moules-frites would be a big faux pas, probably enough to block a Michelin star.

the “bread” (more like a crouton slice) was just as hard and brittle as the fries. I still ate it with the sauce and it was delicious, it just didn’t have any absorption.

1 Like

Yeah, it should really be served with untoasted baguette or batard. Otherwise what’s the point of making so much delicious sauce?

BYOB(read)? :slight_smile:

They have bread on the menu.

I used to bring my own to an otherwise great Italian restaurant that did not have bread.

Speaking of bread… Camphor isn’t doing any daytime service currently, but maybe I can bringmybrunch also.

4 Likes

Camphor or girl and the goat?

I have reservations to both on Saturday night trying to choose which one. TIA

slight edge to camphor for the baby shrimp, beef tartare, mussels, chicken, lobster and marzipan shave ice. there’s also a whole dover sole on special but i haven’t tried it yet.

1 Like

Not cool to book a prime time spot (Sat night) at two restaurants with plans of canceling one…

Works out well for you, but may hurt the restaurant—especially if you are canceling less than 24hrs in advance.

It’s at 9 PM and if I cancel less than 24 hrs they are going to charge me…

If it were moi, I’d go with Camphor b/c I prefer edgy and creative, yet tasty. Enjoyed the counter experience during Nightshade.

Went to G&G twice last fall (brunch and dinner) and it was more than adequate, but not in a rush to go back for dinner. They put on a great show with the pork shank dish arriving at my table with piping hot puffy pitas ready to float away like balloons, but I thought the flavors were not as compelling as Bavel’s lamb neck and their other Middle East inspired dishes. In one visit I had 4 apps, 2 mains (Goat Curry and Pork Shank) and 1 dessert (Popcorn Situation). Pros - friendly staff who didn’t blink an eye when I took half of the food home in my byotupperware :wink:; adequate number of bathroom stalls (unlike Bestia!!!); patio dining (not on the sidewalk); and windowed terrace.

Bon appetit with whatever you end up deciding :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Can you do both? G&G for crumpets and Camphor for dessert? :thinking:

3 Likes

Lol that would be ideal!

1 Like