Camphor - Arts District

Yeah, it should really be served with untoasted baguette or batard. Otherwise what’s the point of making so much delicious sauce?

BYOB(read)? :slight_smile:

They have bread on the menu.

I used to bring my own to an otherwise great Italian restaurant that did not have bread.

Speaking of bread… Camphor isn’t doing any daytime service currently, but maybe I can bringmybrunch also.

4 Likes

Camphor or girl and the goat?

I have reservations to both on Saturday night trying to choose which one. TIA

slight edge to camphor for the baby shrimp, beef tartare, mussels, chicken, lobster and marzipan shave ice. there’s also a whole dover sole on special but i haven’t tried it yet.

1 Like

Not cool to book a prime time spot (Sat night) at two restaurants with plans of canceling one…

Works out well for you, but may hurt the restaurant—especially if you are canceling less than 24hrs in advance.

It’s at 9 PM and if I cancel less than 24 hrs they are going to charge me…

If it were moi, I’d go with Camphor b/c I prefer edgy and creative, yet tasty. Enjoyed the counter experience during Nightshade.

Went to G&G twice last fall (brunch and dinner) and it was more than adequate, but not in a rush to go back for dinner. They put on a great show with the pork shank dish arriving at my table with piping hot puffy pitas ready to float away like balloons, but I thought the flavors were not as compelling as Bavel’s lamb neck and their other Middle East inspired dishes. In one visit I had 4 apps, 2 mains (Goat Curry and Pork Shank) and 1 dessert (Popcorn Situation). Pros - friendly staff who didn’t blink an eye when I took half of the food home in my byotupperware :wink:; adequate number of bathroom stalls (unlike Bestia!!!); patio dining (not on the sidewalk); and windowed terrace.

Bon appetit with whatever you end up deciding :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Can you do both? G&G for crumpets and Camphor for dessert? :thinking:

3 Likes

Lol that would be ideal!

1 Like

Revisited Camphor the other night to a packed dining room. They’re running full speed now.

Menu

:rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light: @moonboy403 there’s caviar now :rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light:

Sparkling Rose (complimentary) and LA’s finest still tap water (free)

Baby Shrimp - gunpowder ($12) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Bigger baby shrimp this time and more gunpowder–I think I liked 1.0 better with the smaller shrimp.

Amuse (complimentary) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Humus in a lentil shell this time.

Mackerel - mustard dressing ($25) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

A bit of an improvement using saba this time instead of horse mackerel.

Barbajuan - dungeness crab ($25) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Dunk these in the aioli dipping sauce and make sure they’re piping hot.

Sauteed Spinach ($14) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

The obligatory green vegetable.

Mussels - white wine, bacon ($30) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

One of the highlights of the night–these were some thicc mussels (which I could normally take or leave but got at @PorkyBelly’s rec) and definitely see why.

Scallop - demi lune ($36) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

The other highlight of the dinner section–they’re little pieces of scallop wrapped in pasta.

Bread (complimentary) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

The real move of the night, they dropped a couple piping hot brioche rolls with the entrees and straight up told us this is for the sauce. Not that we needed to be told because duh, but yes these were fantastic vehicles to wipe the mussels and scallop plates clean.

Marzipan ($18) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Didn’t get a chance to try this last time (it’s marzipan ice cream and shaved ice), and I think I prefer the Kiwi when it comes down to it, but this is still great.

Savarin (mp - $26) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

A light cake that’s priced as MP depending on what type of liquor you choose. We got the Zaya rum, which was indeed strong, but balanced well with the cream.

Mignardise (complimentary) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

A classy touch.

A couple extra drinks ($35)
Subtotal ($221)
Tax ($25.86)
Included 20% service charge ($44.20)
Tipped extra to the bartender ($10)

Extra tip isn’t necessary, but they remembered me from last time and the service was great :slight_smile:

Parking/Valet (free)

I walked.

T-shirt, Joggers, Nikes ($240)

Casual fit :wink:

Total ($541.06)

Tag a friend :crazy_face:

20 Likes

Your @Nemroz style math made me giggle. It also reminds me @Ns1 math.

Though with prices lately…I would not be surprised if increases would come soon.

3 Likes

price per person???

My total for the bill was $155.53 :money_with_wings:

1 Like

bring back the infant shrimps!

glad to see they got rid of those paper thin crouton crisps with the mussels. how was the bread in this picture?

paging @moonboy403 and @BringYourBrunch

4 Likes

I love this report. :grin:

2 Likes

They were like a strongly panini pressed slice of white bread–a crisp texture, but not quite cracker-like. So it held up well putting mussles on top of and didn’t shatter when bitten into, but it wasn’t suitable for sopping up the sauce (hence the free rolls).

@TheCookie just trying to bring my humble observations to the masses :wink:

5 Likes
1 Like

Quite enjoyed a recent meal here. Busy on a Saturday night but perhaps not 100% full surprisingly.

Amuse (complimentary) - Potato in corn shell I believe.

Gunpowder shrimp - Looks like they’re back to the size in initial posts.

White peach salad - one of the two specials, the other of which is the whole dover sole mentioned in Porky’s linked article. It’s quite a light refreshing bite which helped balance out the kick in the shrimp.

Mussels, white wine, bacon - Oh jeez these mussels were amazing! :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: With the complementary bread to soak up the delicious sauce I was in heaven.

Chicken, thyme, chicken jus - This was a really good dish too. They must have seen me at the counter sopping up every bit of sauce the last time and brought me another order of bread! Not sure if this was standard procedure but that didn’t stop me from dunking it into the sauce.

The complimentary bread. Good stuff and great for all those delicious sauces. :drooling_face:

Kiwi dessert - Solid dessert. I think that’s actually ice that tastes lightly of kiwi on top.

Mignardise (complimentary) Lemon(?) Madeleine

I’d definitely be happy to go back again some time to try more items along with those amazing mussels.

FYI there’s also apparently a bar menu with additional items.

11 Likes