Can I cook pizza dough w/o the stone?

Just put it directly on the oven rack? Thinking about trader joes dough.

Use a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper.

I would not put it directly on the rack.

2 Likes

Do you not HAVE a stone? Here’s the technique (adapt the recipe to your liking) but the stone is a huge component of its success. I don’t hesitate to cut corners but…

You can, if the dough’s not too soft, but if I was making pizza somewhere without a stone, I’d use a cookie sheet.

I think I’ve read about turning a baking sheet upside down. I think the preheating is crucial.

I use bricks from Home Depot and the grill outside.

Could you please elaborate?

There’s no need to preheat a cookie sheet. They heat up almost instantly. You have to preheat a stone because it takes a long time. Low vs. high specific heat.

Good point. I’ve just had pizza stones for so long and this technique is so great that I kinda checked out :slight_smile: And as cheap as they can be…

I have a stone but my sister has it.

or you can just forgo the oven entirely, and cook your pizza on the stove using a cast iron skillet, or just a skillet (if times are desperate)

Would you turn the skillet upside down?

To OP, does your sister live far away?!? :slight_smile:

No

I’d read something about that but had no reason to pay attention to it.

I’ve made pizza in the oven on an upside down cast iron pan, preheated for about a half hour. Works fine. Flipping the pan makes it easier to get the pizza onto a plate.

1 Like

Before I got my stone, I would use a cookie sheet, upside down. No need to preheat – it’s thin enough to heat up quickly in a hot oven.

For days I don’t want to run the oven (with a stone), I use the grill. I roll the dough out on parchment paper, take it out to the grill, flip the crust onto the grill (so the parchment is on top and I can peel it off), and grill it for a couple minutes. then I bring it inside, add my sauce and toppings, and take it back to the grill to finish cooking. I prefer doing it this way over topping first and cooking because we don’t like soggy crust in the middle. Parbaking (pargrilling?) it eliminates that.

1 Like

sure, no problem…

2 Likes

L. O. L. I think I’ve seen that somewhere. Hilarious :slight_smile:

You can make Detroit pizza, Detroit-Style Pan Pizza Recipe, or another type of pan pizza. Ken Forkish has a bunch of recipes in his book, The Elements of Pizza, and I heard Peter Reinhart is working on a book dedicated to pan pizzas.

Don’t use a cookie tray from Target or the supermarket, use 1/4 sheet stainless steel.

Nancy Silverton recommends the floor of the oven to get a crisp, lightly charred crust. I’ve used that trick for pizza, potatoes, toasts, and all manner of foods for which I wanted to get a light char. Keep an eye on it, though; the bottom of the oven is hot and food cooks quickly.