any style in particular?

Tomatillo 20 ea
Tomato, Roma 4 ea
Chile Guajillo 4 ea
Chile de arbol 30-40ea (abo 1 cup)
Chile Pasilla 2 ea
garlic 2 cloves
Cilantro (0ptional)

Boil Tomatoes, tomatillos and garlic until soft and blend. Reserve water.

Toast and Blend chilies separately with reserved water.

Combine to taste and add salt.

2 Likes

yes, any kind. are those chile’s fresh? Thank you will try it over the weekend.

All dried chiles. I’ll post one with fresh chiles…

Salsa de Chile Manzano (similar to the south american chile locoto)

3 tomatillos husks removed and washed
1 chile manzano washed
1 small clove garlic
1 small allspice berry

Put in the blender all the ingredients including the seeds from the
chile. blend until almost smooth with a loose consistency. You will
have these lovely black speckles throughout. Salt to taste.

Salsa Picante Aji Chombo (Panama style)
(this recipe will yield enough to fill an empty wine bottle)

.25 lb Aji Chombo (aka Habanero) – stems removed and cut in half
1 oz Fresh Turmeric – peeled and sliced against the grain
1 small Onion – peeled and chopped
.5 cup Water
1.5 cups White wine Vinegar
.5 cup dijon mustard
2 Tbs Salt

Combine everything in a sauce pan and bring up to a boil.
Reduce the flame and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
Turn off the flame and let it cool for 15 minutes.
Liquefy everything in a blender.

2 Likes

Toast 8 dried guajillo and 15 choke de arbol peppers on comal or whatever you’ve got, then reconstitute in boiling water.

Toast 1/4 white onion and 1 clove garlic in oil to soften them and get a bit of char.

Combine reconstituted peppers, onion, garlic, oil and some of pepper water in blender with small spoonful of knorr chicken bouillon, small spoonful of white vinegar and salt to taste.

Can add tomatoes or vary the peppers until you find something that best suits your tastes.

Chile not choke

How do I get the hard “shell” to come off the dried peppers? I tried to grind it and grind it in the blender but it still leaves pieces I need to spit out.

Whoa. That Panamanian salsa is really different from anything I’ve had. Looking forward to trying it soon.
Glad this thread got bumped.

I’ve been calling this “salsa” for lack of any other term. I finally chop avocado, jalapeno, red onion. (And radish and grape tomatoes if I have them.) S&P and lime juice. Let set for a few hours and it’s just super.

Reconstituting in hot water and blending as mentioned above has always worked for me. Remember to toast them in a dry skillet or over a flame first.

You need a good blender too, I.e, strong motor and sharp blades. I use a Ninja blender and don’t toast the chilies first and never have an issue. (I use dried chilies in Indian and Malaysian cooking)

I got busy and boiled the peppers for “too long” and the hard part fell off by itself. :+1:

Whatever works but reconstituting in hot water isn’t actually cooking at all, just soaking.

What you talkin bout Willis?

“Fill a small 1-2 quart saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Use a larger saucepan if you are reconstituting more than 6-8 peppers. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the peppers to the hot water and allow them to soften/reconstitute for about 20-30 minutes.”

5 jalapeños
10 serranos
1 roma tomato
2 cloves garlic, peel left on
1 half small onion, chopped finely
1 lime
cilantro to taste
ground coriander

Roast jalapeños, serranos, roma tomato, garlic in cast iron skillet until all sides of every item are roasted black.

After roasted, take garlic out of peel, should be soft. Put all items in a high powered blender (such as Vitamix) and blend all roasted items together.

Add chopped onion and cilantro.

Juice lime into salsa. Salt and cilantro to taste. And small amount of ground coriander.

Enjoy with favorite chips or Mexican dish, or whatever you please cuz eat what you like.

3 Likes

That sounds absolutely PERFECT! I wish we had some kind of save feature here. Thanks a mil.

This recipe came from a guy from Michoacán. He shared it with me so I will thank him for you.

Please do. Seems like a perfect combo of ingredients and technique.

Vodka in any salsa recipe makes it better.

Even if you’re Mormon.