Catalina Island

Fiji is commercial if you’ve only in parts of Viti Levu and some of the resort islands. Most of the outlying islands are pretty rustic. The trend has been for luxe resorts with very limited number of guests. Taveuni and the rest of the north islands are either relatively sparse or uber-luxurious.

Honestly, all of Fiji seems wonderful - McD’s or no McD’s. But especially, the part you describe (Taveuni)… Heaven.

1 Like

Good thing everyone’s sticking to help on Catalina. ;o

3 Likes

As long as it’s about an island, it’s all good mon (Jamaica)

3 Likes

Sorry @Midlife for drifting out to the South Pacific. Food and islands have to be running neck and neck for the top spot of at least some FTCers’ obsessions.

1 Like

Bluewater Grill isn’t the worst place on earth also.

I still dream of the reef fish poisson cru , made with fresh coconut, in French Polynesia…

3 Likes

A long time ago I had local grilled fish, on the beach, at a place you could hardly call a restaurant in Jimbaran, Bali. More like a guy made a grill out of wire mesh suspended on some drums, under a thatched roof. Seemed like he caught the fish right there. The ocean was 20 yards away. Don’t know whether I dream of it for the meal or for the two young women (sans tops) on the sand nearby. Probably both. The fish was very good.

1 Like

Loved throughout most of the SP, it’s kokoda (koh kohn dah) in Fiji.

1 Like

Isn’t that the best. Once we were in a taxi on the Yucatán Peninsula going to the airport and found out our plane was delayed. The cab driver offered to take us to his cousin’s place to eat. It was a bamboo shack at the end of a pier. We had grilled fish, guacamole, salsa, tortillas and cold cerveza. We would probably be more cautious today. But you just can’t manufacture that feeling.

1 Like

Been to both…Nadi and Suva but our beloved FoF, isn’t the same.

I was married in Moorea and poisson cru with Hinanos were the starter course…
Nothing like it, done in the French Polynesia islands!!

1 Like

My faves in Avalon. .
Bluewater
Lobster pot
Portofino
Descanso bay club for swimming, buffalo milks and lunch fare
Eric’s on the pier

Buffalo Nickle…when you take a Sikorsky over, this is a wonderful divey goodness kind of place…love this place and been going for decades to the BN…
Never knew they had a shuttle…the walk will sober you up…ha!

Best dive bar ever…The Marlin Club

1 Like

So how was Catalina Island @President_Mochi? Or did you decide to go to Fiji instead?

1 Like

No, of course not. But then you’re in Fiji, and all is forgiven, if not forgotten.

1 Like

Reporting live from Fiji! Jk. I was going to go for my birthday since the ferry would have been free, but all of the hotels were booked up, so we’re gonna try to plan a bit more in advance. Plus, I heard the waters were super choppy this weekend, so good thing we didn’t go! Hopefully this summer, though.

1 Like

Bula Ipse. …

Lol…
I like Fiji, except for those damn sea snakes. . .
There called 3 strokers…you basically have 3 strokes before you die…
Good thing is their mouths are so small that to be effective, they have to bite between the fingers…
Yikes!!

Good lord @Plumeria. That will put a damper on a vacation.

1 Like

The first time I was in Fiji, tide was going out and the reefs were pratically exposed and I’m in 3 feet of water and this colorful sea snake darts in front of my mask and then looks at me and at that moment, I scream, a primal, guttural scream that could probably have been heard over to Tonga…

I was never ever the same after that, snorkeling, in that part of the world again.
The freaky deaky thing is they come up on land too…