Chandavkl brings new meaning to Yelp reviews for Chinese restaurants

My all-time favorite comment in a Yelp one-star review was, “The chick at the next table hit on my boyfriend. This place sucks!”

5 Likes

That is so funny!
I like it when chicks hit on my guy btw.

1 Like

I once read a one-star review of Elite. The writer said that he didn’t like the layout of the parking lot, so he gave it one star. He also mentioned that he didn’t actually enter the restaurant.

Another one-star review of Elite complained that they were incompetent because they burnt the egg tarts. They didn’t realize that they were Portuguese-style egg tarts which are supposed to be caramelized.

4 Likes

I’ve seen similar complaints that Neapolitan-style pizzas were burnt and not crisp.

I think you encapsulated @chandavkl’s point about people reviewing things they don’t understand. And the one-star parking lot thing is ridiculous.

[quote=“raytamsgv, post:23, topic:4606”]
Portuguese-style egg tarts which are supposed to be caramelized
[/quote]I have been so wanting to try those. The menu at Macau at The W Hollywood is a joke.

while we’re bashing yelp, just read a review of a person eating tonkotsu ramen:

I tried hers and couldn’t get over how strong the pork taste is in the broth, barf.

Also, by the time we got the check, I could feel my hands swelling up from all the sodium.

3 Likes

China Red.

2 Likes

Knew it. Just once I wish there would be an answer that didn’t require a 20 mile drive and Siri. If only I had been more of a food seeker when I lived in that area… sigh.

1 Like

Seriously. But at least I have my love, Destroyer.

1 Like

Is Sherman Oaks closer? Natas on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks serves Portuguese meals and pastries including their namesake pastries de nata - Portuguese for egg tart.

2 Likes

Closer. I work off Beverly Glen. It’s one straight shot. And I have occasion to be there about once a month. Another sweet find by bulavinaka. Thanks.

This place has been pretty well known amongst our Circle. I think because the SFV doesn’t get as much play on our board, places like this aren’t mentioned often.

1 Like

That’s a good point… Hmmm :thinking:. I wonder why? Hey Valley Girls & Guys… don’t be shy. Start postin’.

Don’t make me invoke the arcane text of the Ye Olde Chowhound Manifesto…

Oh do tell.

From the days of dial-up modems, I present thee (partially also for the sake of preserving the archives) THE CHOWHOUND MANIFESTO

The ol’ skool bottom line: Damn the distance - The food is what matters. Get in the car, gas it up, make the trek.

4 Likes

they don’t make 'em like they used to

1 Like

I love it. I had a feeling it would be about distance be damned. But it was much more. FTC seems to have carried the old-school Chowhound torch. You, Chowseeker1999, certainly PorkyBelly, wienermobile and a few others (pardon if I left anyone out) are certainly the embodiment of a true Chowhound.

2 Likes

But masters like you:

Coal>>>>>>diamonds!

2 Likes

20 mile drive? Try a bit more than three times that distance! :wink:

There was a time when Yelp reviews of Chinese places were informative. Back in the food blogger heyday, it was mentioned how many bloggers were “Asian” and that seemed to lead to a lot of folks knowledgeable in regional Chinese cuisines posting to Yelp (heck, even TonyC did). But, last year I saw Yelp reviews complaining that the broth of the beef noodle soup at China Tasty was “bland” “almost flavorless” and that it had no soy sauce or five spice flavor at all. So, they were basing their review of Lanzhou-style beef noodle soup on the flavors of Taiwanese niu rou mian. Ok, game pretty much over.

1 Like