Chandavkl explains why Los Angeles Chinese Food is the best in the nation

https://www.menuism.com/blog/how-chinese-food-in-los-angeles-emerged-as-the-best-in-the-nation/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

4 Likes

Cool article, thanks for sharing.

As a Berkeley resident, that sounds about right to me.

Outside of dim sum, the one place i know where the SFBA might beat the greater SGV area is Uighur.

I don’t know if LA has Korean-Chinese to match Great China, or a Chinese restaurant with a similarly spectacular wine list.

haven’t i read this article a few times before?

Variations on a theme.

https://www.menuism.com/blog/los-angeles-chinese-food-vs-vancouver/

This was actually a speech I gave recently to the Westwood Rotary Club, which was hosting members of the San Francisco Chinatown Rotary Club. While it ostensibly was a comparison of Chinese food in LA and SF, in reality was a condensed history of Chinese food in the United States, and as such is partly an amalgamation of various things I have written in the past. Menuism liked the content and edited it into article form.

5 Likes

Most of the Korean Chinese places in LA are in Koreatown, such as Shun Beijing and Dragon. However, the Korean community in Rowland Heights to Diamond Bar continues to grow, and we are seeing some of the Korean Chinese restaurants open in that area of East SGV as well, such as Garden Restaurant.

For Uyghur, we have Omar’s, which is run by a Uyghur chef originally from Urumqi, Xinjiang. She immigrated here about 6 years ago with her brother (who went off to open up his restaurant also called Omar’s in Artesia). She makes awesome hand pulled noodles and a big plate chicken. Plus, her lamb pie is also delicious.

Her brother’s location had closed earlier this year, supposedly for renovations, but will have to research that.

1 Like

robert was very unimpressed with Omar, though I don’t recall what he ordered other than the meat pie. For Uyghur, there’s also Silk Road Garden in Rowland Heights. I don’t know that robert has checked it out yet.

Great point about the ever increasing number of Korean restaurants in the Rowland Heights/Diamond Bar area.

My foodie group found Silk Road Garden less favorable to Omar’s. Their cuisine seems to be watered-down a bit, especially in terms of flavor. We did appreciate the fact that we could get the Big Plate Chicken, but in the boneless format.

The meal I had at Sama was much, much better than the one I had at Omar.

Sama was started by a couple of guys who met working at Silk Road and opened their own place because they wanted to serve food that tasted more like their memories of home.I don’t usually put much stock in Yelp, but Sama gets 4.5 stars vs. Silk Road’s 3.5.

Hmm, I’ll have to give Sama a try when I’m up i the area next year…

No offense to David but why do I feel like this is the same thought piece I’ve read several times over the years? Or is this an new updated version just reusing the same headline?

See my explanation about a half a dozen comments up. Thanks for following my various writings.

Great article. Thanks Chandavkl.