Chandavkl on evolution of dim sum

Just saw that Chandavkl recounts the evolution of dim sum in Los Angeles in his Menuism article "Dim Sum: Carts or No Carts?
https://www.menuism.com/blog/dim-sum-cart-or-no-cart/

4 Likes

thanks for the link

One item found in Chinatown that you couldn’t get at Man Fook Low was the giant steamed chicken bao, still referred to this day in some quarters as the Toishan bun. Besides chicken meat, the bun also contains a hard-boiled egg yolk, as well as pieces of lop cheung, a Chinese pork sausage.

my childhood right here.

4 Likes

I absolutely love Dai Bao’s!! One of my favorite things to eat. For me it’s up there with steam pork patty over rice, beef and tomatoes over rice, sweet and sour pork, claypot rice with sausage, as pure Canto Soul Food, like George Lam and Teresa Teng soul.

I always make it a point to get them when in SF Chinatown. It’s been awhile but my mom used to work in Downtown LA and would bring a box home from Long’s Pastry in Chinatown.

A dai bao, may be all someone eats until dinner. It is a very humble food in perspective

1 Like

I seem to recall one of the dim sum carryouts in LA Chinatown still has them. Possibly Tian’s Dim Sum on N. Hill St.

I remember the male waiters carrying the large trays in Chinatown. Seeing women push around carts at Miriwa was a bit of a shock at that time.

1 Like

Interesting history from @chandavkl, as usual.

1 Like