Chandavkl’s latest LA Weekly piece discusses the cracks in the great Cantonese dining wall of Los Angeles Chinatown [Rebooted]

That is actually a taiwanese variation of cantonese 蒸肉餅… so you’re right that 瓜仔肉 is taiwanese…

“瓜仔肉屬於 粵菜(俗稱:蒸肉餅)”

http://www.twwiki.com/wiki/瓜仔肉

1 Like

Last night at hole in wall in mongkok. After we fell off the pumpkin truck. Aw shucks.

3 Likes

Is that your very own little rice cooker???

Nah, left rice cooker at home this trip. We’re in Hong Kong now.

That is a traditional claypot rice. Some humble restos in SF have it. Much better here tho.

2 Likes

The clay pots are of better quality in HK leading to tastier food, or the food is just tastier in HK? :wink:

1 Like

Many flavors and ingredient combos are available. Lop Cheong (sausage), mushrooms, chicken, beef, etc…

Charred bottom is good!!!

5 Likes

I suppose I should just ‘click’ on like but, dang, this look ridiculously great!

2 Likes

That does look ridiculously tasty!!

1 Like

Better be ridiculousness good. Cost about USD$6-8 each!!! :smile:

Uh, is that a lot for food in HK? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

“…the food is just tastier in Hong Kong?”

To me, the humbler simpler foods really shine in HK. A few items really stood out for me in the last 48 hours.

• you tiu, Chinese cruller. The best in recent memory. Outside was light crispness, inside was light and airy. Perfect to dip in the steaming hot pork offal congee. Offal deliciously porky, with brief hint of barnyard. (as offal should)

• Roastie meats from street takeaway joint. Roast duck, pork, pigeon (squab), especially the baby pig. All good!!

• Claypot fishhead with tofu. Tofu with light crisp outside, custardy inside. Fish quick-fried with a wispy batter and braised. The meat was succulent, head yielded lots of gelatinous tidbits. Dining partner appropriated both eyes while I was being polite.

Gotta have wonton a few times on every HK trip. Invariably, the wonton here have a snappy light chew with fresh shrimpy flavor. Paired with al dente “wonton” noodles and beef insides. In a word, perfect.

May be obvious that our choices tend toward the unusual (to mainstream American tastes). In HK, these are every day foods and we satisfy our craving here, where this food is delicious, Cheap and everywhere!!!

2 Likes

You got the bbq pork buns from Tim Ho Wan right? RIGHT?!?!

Hey NS,

We had THW last September, prodded by the urging (insistence) of my traveling companions.

Pork bun outstanding!! I’d gladly hit that again.

The rest was all good. Worth an hour+ queue? Maybe not.

3 Likes

How kind of you :frowning:

[quote=“Google_Gourmet, post:34, topic:4990”]
May be obvious that our choices tend toward the unusual (to mainstream American tastes). In HK, these are every day foods
[/quote]This last paragraph kind of answered a question I was about to ask. But, do you think restaurants here (even in the SGV) tone it down a bit?

I know. I’m sorry. I :heart: you.

Now who’s being passive aggressive? Me :innocent:.

My review of THW is the same as yours. I’d go there over and over again for the bbq pork buns and those footballs (which translates to to-go orders from that branch right under the MTR), but the rest of the dim sum was just ok.

OMG that Squab is just…I need a moment…

1 Like