Chandavkl’s significant write up on how housing discrimination still affects your Chinese food in Los Angeles

FWIW, i didn’t choose the route, the driver started in laverne, picked me up in pasadena, got tired of going down the 110 through DTLA and hit upon that route. it was quicker, and he didn’t care about the gas.

I’ve met lots of younger people in LA who don’t have cars. They look for work and apartments near Metro train stations and take Lyft or Uber as necessary.

1 Like

Didn’t realize that Next Republic is no longer Chinese. I thought they had some good stuff.

That was part of my walk home from high school :grin:

2 Likes

Keppel alum?

Pirate’s cove and theatre next to NBC tell you what elementary school? :wink:

I loved Pirate’s cove!!! And I also really liked the Thai place in the same strip mall. I think it might’ve been the first Thai food I ever had…

2 Likes

it’s american BBQ, among other things. about 2 months now. it doesn’t occur to me to mention a lot of non asian places in the SGV except in the pasadena specific thread.

I remember that. Yeah, a bus to SGV not a good option. I recall mention about all the leftovers a solo diner would be hauling around. The best option for someone specifically wishing to sample the SGV food scene would be to get a hotel room in the area…and walk!

I’ve never quite got the disdain for walking here. Most posters here seem reasonably young and reasonably healthy. Then again, I’ve walked 7 miles in a day in my area (and 13 miles total in 48 hours). I’ve probably walked 3 or more miles in the SGV just making the rounds, even if I do go from area to area by car. Alhambra or Monterey Park to Rowland Heights definitely isn’t easily walkable.

1 Like

“At this time of day? It’s gonna be jammed!” :smiley:

1 Like

Do you think it’s because so many places are a must-drive-to realistically? So a habit is born. I’m guessing I’ve regularly walked a quarter of a mile and sometimes a half mile and rarely a mile after getting off public transpo or parking.

They did a one off episode last year that was pretty funny:

Well you would have been on time if you took Culver to the 1, then turned right on Sunset – that’s what says on Google Maps.

Devin I use Waze!

That’s why you ended up in Englewood brah! Google maps gives you traffic updates Stuart!

1 Like

I just think there are some lazy people on this forum :wink::smiley:

One can still drive to a location, and then walk around. I do it all of the time.

1 Like

Hilarious! The soapy mirror interludes are the best.

Maybe yes; maybe no. When I went to high school (no, I didn’t ride a pony!), I rode two city buses for four years. While still in my 20s I moved to SF, so walking and bussing has always been there.

???Whut? Are you another SGV raised transplant to the Westside? I don’t recall the Thai place. I remember the pizza place, that was a big hangout.

Yup. Although I didn’t grow up in that specific area (I was closer to Pasadena).

I cannot for the life of me recall the name of the Thai place. Was the pizza place at the “opposite” corner to Pirate’s Cove? I also vaguely recall there being a computer store there (I think my parents might’ve purchased my Mac LC II from there).

I believe it was called Thai Heaven, I remember the name because of the cute waitress that worked there.
“She’s from heaven…” sighed my friend who never worked up the courage to ask her out.

2 Likes