Changes in the LA Times Food Section

There’s also this one:

Yes, I included that link. These are interesting articles; I am learning a good bit.

14 posts were split to a new topic: What kinds of tuna do sushi bars serve and where do they come from?

Another reason Addision might have been scarce for a while: he was in Japan.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Addison: “What makes L.A.’s sushi scene so great? I found answers in Tokyo”

And Addison also wrote this whole roundup:

1 Like

I can’t figure what benefit the Times accrues from doing a food event like this in NYC that would justify the cost.

2 Likes

It’s awesome that they highlighted this place. I come here pretty often.

The nori roll is their “futomaki”. Why did Lucas write as if they are 2 different menu items.

WTF is California “futomaki”. It’s just California Roll.

2 Likes

Was wondering that myself as I read of all the “correspondents” and chefs they must’ve flown out.

1 Like

Yet another sushi / Tokyo followup from Addison;

Is there any tempura omakase in LA?

2 Likes

tempura endo and tempura nagomi before it got converted to sushi inaba

The custard is peak smooth and glassy. The crust is as delicate as chalk.

Sorry, what?

2 Likes

This may be the first time I’ve seen “chalk” used as a positive term for food :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She later says of the same crust

It flakes easily, disappearing into a fine powder when you take a bite.

I don’t know what kind of chalk that would be.

Here’s a new one: they collaboated with a spice vendor on a product:

1 Like

That’s different. Do other newspapers have similar colabs? I make me own (based on the recipe in Duncan Welgemoed’s book Africola) but I’d try it

1 Like

I’d expect newspapers to reject such a partnership since it compromises editorial integrity.

3 Likes

i dunno - the newspapers hold festivals, sell goods, take ads. I don’t see it being that different, in this case it’s very apparent who makes it and is selling it, so there’s full disclosure.

3 Likes

What goods gave you seen newspapers sell other than T-shirts, tote bags, and the like promoting their own brand?

In this case they’re not just creating a conflict of interest for the editorial side but competing with potential advertisers.

I don’t imagine they’re making a ton of money with these chili crisps, I think it’s more of a branding exercise and for fun, really. But man, publications gotta make money somehow these days, give 'em a break :slight_smile:

10 Likes