Changes in the LA Times Food Section

The newroom consists of more than just journalists.

In the article, it mentions and links to a story about a previous round of layoffs to the newsroom, which affected other positions than just journalists.

1 Like

It the article it seems like they’re using “newsroom” to mean only members of the guild.

knowledgeable people said the plan is to lay off at least 100 journalists, or about 20% of the newsroom

Whatever the actual number, the paper I read online daily doesn’t seem to me like it has enough content to require even a hundred writers and editors.

But, the LA Times Guild isn’t just writers and editors.

It also includes: “photographers, video journalists, digital producers, audience engagement editors, art directors, page designers, and other workers.”

In the previous round of layoffs to the newsroom, it included: audience engagement editors, audio producers, and a library researcher.

But, this upcoming round of layoffs will target journalists, who had been spared in the earlier round of layoffs.

Maybe so. The article’s vague on details. If they meant to say that, they didn’t.

She must have been thinking of climbers’ chalk.

Here’s one change I would like at the LA Times: A moratorium on articles about chicken sandwiches. Goes for you too, Eater.

1 Like
1 Like

6 Likes

Shit.

2 Likes

The Los Angeles Times announced Tuesday that it was laying off at least 115 people — or more than 20% of the newsroom — marking one of the largest workforce reductions in the history of the 142-year-old institution.

Also,

Senior editors were part of the purge, including Washington bureau chief Kimbriell Kelly, deputy Washington bureau chief Nick Baumann, business editor Jeff Bercovici, books editor Boris Kachka, and music editor Craig Marks. The Washington bureau, photography and sports departments saw dramatic cuts, including several award-winning photographers. The video unit was hollowed out.

1 Like

Awww Lucas :sob: will miss his very official and unbiased (lol) rankings articles

5 Likes

Aw gee. This sucks.

3 Likes

So sorry to see you go.

Loved his work- usually amusing and interesting.

5 Likes

The layoffs reminded me that I’ve been wanting to call to see if I can get a lower subscription rate. It makes no sense to me to pay as much as I do for the Washingon Post ($10 / month) for a fraction as much content. They didn’t have a cheaper plan so I cancelled.

In addition to Lucas, Ben Mims (recipe developer/columnist), Julie Giuffrida (recipe tester who also wrote recipe roundup pieces), and Amy Wong (audience engagement) were laid off.

4 Likes

Ahgoo’s Kitchen’s version looks better than any I’ve ever had.

1 Like

Ahgoo’s is spectacular

Pacific Plaza food court in Rowland also has a good Shanghai and Shandong spot

3 Likes

Best version of this Da Bing in the OC is at Ma’s (halal) Chinese in Anaheim.

2 Likes

LT Shanghai Restaurant has thick and thin versions. Better than Ma’s.

Photos for LT Shanghai Restaurant (yelp.com)

1 Like