Chanterelles!

The Van Nuys Costco has chanterelles for $10/lb!

2 Likes

nice. Is that a good price?

Yes they are $50 - $75 a pound on Amazon. Its an amazing price…now I have to decide how to cook them…

bought them at burbank costco last weekend. 9.99 a pound.
they were pretty darn good.

2 Likes

Chanterelles are so overrated.

There’s a reason people drown these things in butter. And it’s not because they have a surplus of butter on hand.

of course they are. its a vast conspiracy funded by the shady chanterelle lobby.

7 Likes

Fresh chanterelles at Costco? Hmmm . . .

Local farmer’s market had them for twice that, but – fortunately for us – a good friend forages for them, selling them to restaurants (it’s how he paid for law school!), and just gave us a pound . . .

1 Like

Do you know where Costco gets them? I love chanterelles when I can forage for them myself, but I agree that they’re over-priced, especially given the poor condition they’re often in.

2 Likes

The MdR Costco has carried chanterelles for a while now - 5 years or more?

I don’t know. They weren’t knock it out of the park like morels or porcinis, but they were worth $10/lb. Roasted them with cream and rich chicken stock then served them over fresh pasta. I did add butter which was a good idea.

5 Likes

When is adding butter ever a bad idea? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So true! I have to give credit to @ipsedixit as it wasn’t in the recipe!!

2 Likes

I’m a mushroom lover and I would have to disagree! I love them all! Sautéed chanterelles on a hanger steak- heaven! I wait until they are in season and get them at the Japanese grocery stores in my hood or the farmers market on the rare winter we get a rain storm.

5 Likes