Chargha House Culver City

Ode to a mango
by John K. Eats

My heart aches, and a tasty numbness pains
My sense, as though of mango lassi I had drunk…

3 Likes

Stopped into Chargha House yesterday for the lunch special - tandoori chicken, chicken curry, beef kabob, veggies (chickpea saag?), rice and naan (~$8).

I didn’t take a pic, but it looked kinda like this (only mine just came with one drumstick, and the beef kabob isn’t in this picture).

Picture from Yelp

I thought the veggies stood out, and the curry was just ok. The naan is thick and solid for sopping. I’d probably skip the lunch special in the future, though. The price is great, but I’d rather go for the Chargha Chicken or Chicken Biryani. And those are only a buck or two more. I really like this place.

1 Like

Finally had the chance to try Chargha House and I see what the fuss is about! Got a whole Chargha Chicken, aloo parata, and mango lassi. All were very tasty, especially the spicy chicken drenched in their mint chutney. It reminded me of the spicy Taj Pathani Chicken at Taj Tandoori.

Chargha Chicken:

Aloo Parata

Ultimately, I think I slightly prefer the Taj Pathani chicken because it’s a little spicier. Also, Taj Tandoori is a little closer to me. But I would not hesitate to head back to Chargha House if I was in that area.

4 Likes

Their aloo paratha is different than the usual aloo paratha. Is it made with white flour instead of the usual wheat flour?

1 Like

Good catch – it does seem to be made with white flour instead of the usual wheat. Which reminds me, I picked up some frozen parathas from Samosa House a while back that were just terrible. Pale, tasteless, and loaded with trans fats. Didn’t connect it until now, but those were made with white flour too. Is this a thing?

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s a thing, but I’ve noticed the packaged frozen parathas in the grocery store are more prevalent than in previous years. Just never seen them at a restaurant before. I buy the plain frozen parathas for home, but because they are similar to the roti used for roti prata/roti canai from Singapore/Malaysia.

Stopped by Chargha House and found them closed by the health department for vermin infestation. :frowning_face:

Double :frowning::frowning: and a :nauseated_face: too. Haven’t been in a long time plus I’m still here. I must be immune to the plague.

Sounds authentic

1 Like

Aw. Hope they sort it out. I’ve been meaning to go back there + Jasmine Market up the street.

Off-topic, but close to there, I just watched a Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Zach Galifianakis, and they went to Royal Donuts + Dina’s Family Restaurant.

Folks make too big a deal of vermin infestation, which is invariably temporary. If you go to the Health Deparment website, you’ll see a staggering list of closures, doubtlessly including many of your favorites. Everything from hole-in-the-walls to chains, with many a recognizable name. It happens (is there a shrug emoji?)

Maybe I shouldn’t suggest checking the closure list or history. Some of you might never eat out again.

2 Likes

Who’s making a big deal? I’m just bummed I couldn’t complete the second half of my bang-bang with Il Romanista.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:laughing: :+1:

I have some rat stories that would make your toes curl.

I looked at the Los Angeles County Restaurant Closure List. You are correct. There are many restaurants in my area (West Los Angeles) closed for vermin infestation that I never would have suspected.

My problem with Chargha House wasn’t vermin, but that I didn’t like the food.