Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

I can’t say that the square pies are transcendent, but they’re good enough for me. I do wish the slices were thicker and “fluffier,” though.

Besides Pizza Wagon, whose square pies do you like better??? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you tried out apollonia?

4 Likes

Yes! ::smacks head:: I think I had a square slice there awhile back (like 6-8 mos ago?). Was handling some work stuff at the same time I was eating, which is prob I don’t have a clear memory. I do recall it being “fancier” in terms of the toppings, and I think the crust was prob closer to my ideal. I’ll need to try it again to make sure. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think Apollonia’s is the best square this side of Mama’s Too in New York. To me, Prince St is solid but not wait 20 minutes in line.

Though I know Detroit is a little different than Sicilian or Grandma, I found Quarter Sheets to be soggy. Liked De La Nonna but only had it once.

Is Apollonia’s still limiting when it’s available? Used to drive me crazy…

2 Likes

I like the way they top their squares. I can’t stand the soft, limp crust. My squares and square slice re-heats from Prime have always been like soft focaccia with no crisp.

I prefer pizza wagons Sicilian, which is really like a NY Sicilian. Now if I could combine Wagons crust and Primes squares toppings etc, I’d be really happy!

As @hungryhungryhippos and @ShadrackToussaint mention, I do like Appolonia’s square. Pricey at $36 for a pepperoni and I think $8 a slice. But quite tasty. it’s like a hybrid between Sicilian and Detroit.

Other than that, haven’t had any squares I’d write home about. I’ve never been to Prince Street.

3 Likes

Just fyi on prince street, for me I would rather support other businesses. Not trying to pass judgement on anyone who does or doesn’t eat at prince st just my opinion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ny.eater.com/platform/amp/2021/1/8/22218958/prince-street-pizza-yelp-frank-dominic-morano-racism

5 Likes

What limitations did they have? I don’t see anything on the website, so not sure if situation has changed.

Then maybe some consistency issues still. On my first 2 (or 3?) visits, the crust had decent crispness and was dry (in a good way). Yesterday, it was kind of soggy and limp (corner pieces had some crispness, though) SUPER oily.

They used to only offer it at times on Fridays.

I had several at Fairfax and several more at Burbank.

I probably need a whole pie but I was so unimpressed with the sponginess of the slices I thought why get more of these.

1 Like

In the past year and a half or so I’ve always been able to get square slices at Apollonia, lunch or dinner, whatever day.

3 Likes

I would say just call ahead they have square slices a lot more often now but if you’re going out of your way just see what they have that day. They won’t set aside slices for call ins, walk ups only.

2 Likes

Yeah well PIZZA WAGON SERVES DRY CARDBOARD with TOO MUCH SAUCE

:eggplant:

1 Like

What’s up with the CAPS? You’d think I insulted a relative.

Pizza Wagon is far from cardboard. Crispy and light. The Sicilian definitely has more sauce on the whole pies. Slices don’t seem as much.

the eggplant means I’m just fucking with yah

1 Like

I thought the eggplant was a sexual thing.

(Yeah, I knew you were busting my chops) :wink:

Seriously though, you get prime squares a lot. Are they crispy usually? Am I just completely unlucky?

no, that’s pretty much how they come…and also why I buy normal slices to eat there and squares to-go.

1 Like

Do you crisp them up at home?

sure do, obligatory pizza stone and a few mins at 400+

2 Likes

Meatball and hot jimmy from bootleg.

They forgot to add the hot honey to my hot jimmy slice which was disappointing.

Still too doughy for my taste. This was a fall back because la morra and appollonia were both closed this afternoon

6 Likes

Had Apollonia a few weeks ago need to get back

11 Likes