Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

In Rome, pizza a taglio is usually not hot (unless by chance it just come out of the oven) and some places won’t heat it up for you.

Some of Bonci’s have raw toppings and are cooked to order, like the sausage. Bonci is great but in many ways not traditional.

1 Like

+1. This is quite correct. Personally I prefer my pizza not-hot. Warm is perfect.

1 Like

I’m always the idiot who burns the roof of his mouth putting pizza right out of oven into my mouth. But it hurts so good.

5 Likes

So lucky @js76wisco! If I worked near Il Romanista, it would definitely be in my regular rotation. :smile:

We were debating on the Amatriciana on both of our visits! I’ll definitely have to try that next time then. Thanks.

And yes, we loved the Crostino Americano, great blend of flavors with the Mushrooms & Sausage. And that crust! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m like you, I have never learned my lesson but it doesnt matter because it tastes the best piping hot.

2 Likes

When I first started my job I was going to Il Romanista like twice a week. I had to curtail my visits. So much so I’m only going like once a month. Today’s visit reminded me that there aren’t many better places where you can eat lunch for under $10.

5 Likes

Hi @js76wisco,

Great point. The QPR is fantastic at Il Romanista! :slight_smile: (Considering you can easily spend $20 on a bowl of Ramen, this is fantastic.)

Funny. I thought il Romanista was really good but felt pricey for what I got.

How many slices? Each slice is about $3.50 to $4. A plain slice at Vito’s, Superfine and Prime is $3 to $3.50. Most of the slices at Il Romanista have toppings so I think the pricing is right even though the Il Romanista slices may be a touch smaller.

1 Like

I just remember paying ~$9 for two slices thinking it was a bit on the pricey side considering the size of the slices.

I would have thought Romanista’s prices were fine if all three slices had been outstanding instead of two being just good.

Can’t really compare the slices at il romanista with places like superfine where the slices are about double the surface area.

heavy duty pizza coverage, chowseeker! how many days did it take? I personally am going with Pizza Wagon as my favorite LA slice…also, ive never had a problem at Triple Beam…found it to be extremely flavorful and I liked the slightly thicker crust(a rarity for me)…Never had a problem with heat level, whenever I get reheats, I always tell them clearly and loudly, to make sure its hot…it always has been…but love Il Romanista, too…hopefully, you get to check out South End at some point…I love what Mario Vollera is doing at this pizzeria/wine bar in Venice!

4 Likes

Hi @lapizzamaven,

Thanks. This Pizza Journey… was a blur. :smile: We tried 3 - 4 places back to back, and the others were more tempered, depending on everyone’s schedule.

Wow, so you like Pizza Wagon’s slice of Pepperoni more than Superfine? We liked both of them for sure, but I think we liked Superfine more because the Pepperoni cups / grease chalices were crisped up more, and that San Marzano Tomato Sauce was pretty phenomenally balanced (by Chef Steve Samson and his crew). But both were great! :slight_smile:

South End: For sure we’ll be back. We liked our initial visit and will try the flavors you recommended next time!

1 Like

What?!! It does look good, but that is a bold statement, my dear. Now I must try.

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

I think you’ll like it (I hope so)! :slight_smile: Remember for the Caramel Coppetta with Marshmallow Sauce & Salted Spanish Peanuts, to get a bite with a bit of everything and one of the Salted Spanish Peanuts. It’s that combination of sweet and salty that makes it standout. :wink:

1 Like

Will do. I love Spanish peanuts.

1 Like

Damn carbs… and I have ZERO willpower!!

Pizza Wagon. Had a chat with the owners tonight. So nice.

The goods;

GOODNESS, chock full of vitamins and nutrients. Part of a balanced meal.

This isn’t Top Chef or let’s see how many components I can put on a pie such as bee vomit. The goodness to me is the simplicity.

6 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Darn it, why did I have to click on your reply right before sleeping?! I’m just glad Pizza Wagon isn’t in our neighborhood or else we might’ve ended up with a pepperoni pizza right now. :wink:

2 Likes

You’re really amazing. Your pizza report rivals any food mag or online site around. I challenge anyone to dispute this fact. :wink:

2 Likes