Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

Meant to be an undergrad hangout for a casual NY slice. Not exactly designed to be the next coming of Per se.

1 Like

Point well taken. But I do think that, sort of like Amandine, Lamonica’s is maybe is a bit trapped in time (and possibly not as good as it was b/f?); the LA pizza scene is so different than it was 20 yrs ago. I’d much rather have a pie from Prime or Santa Monica Pizza Kitchen. And, as much as I didn’t like the pizza at Tony’s in San Marino (I don’t think I “got” NY style pizza growing up), I would rather have had that than what I had yesterday.

Just my $0.02. The pizza yesterday was actually pretty mediocre. Maybe just an off day for them?

3 Likes

It’s the best one within walking distance of campus, which goes for a lot.

Having said that my last visit to the Westwood one was also less than stellar.

1 Like

He went to Apollonia’s and gave them an 8.2.

It looked better than any pie I’ve had there but I have only had it by the slice which is a definite disadvantage to most places except pizza wagon.

4 Likes

Order a whole square pie they are delicious but expensive.

Crazy expensive but agree. That square is really good.

2 Likes

Popped in to ESBC The Slice & Pint for a quick slice with wifey.

She got plain cheese

Tad greasy. The oils separate from the cheese on reheat. But it was quite good. Sauce was hardly noticeable but the flavor of everything else made up for it. Probably better on a fresh pie.

Nice smoky pepperoni cups. Just a bit scarce on my slice. Not a fan of the dried oregano they toss on it. Not sure if it was applied after the slice came out of the oven but I would ask to hold the oregano.

The crust has some really nice chew. Nice crisp. Well risen cornicione. The whole pies coming out of the oven were really beautiful.

Nice big seating area outside but it was crazy cold and windy so not today.

All in all I think the slices are decent. I would like to get a whole pie fresh from the oven.

7 Likes

~0.5 mi away on Main St., there’s a place called “Stuft Pizza.” Partner remember a “Stuft Pizza” in Whittier back in the day. I’ve never been to any of the pizza places in El Segundo, but I thought I’d let you know, just in case you’re ever in the area again and want to do a bang bang. :wink:

2 Likes

The Stuft pizza in Whittier is still there. But I haven’t been to it, either.

Does it have stuffed crust? Not gonna lie, Pizza Hut’s stuffed crust pizza is one of my guilty pleasures. :flushed:

4 Likes

We passed by it and I wondered if they did those stuffed pizzas with crust on top and bottom?

2 Likes

Wow! gotta chat with Mario…guess I’m gonna be visiting Berkeley soon!

Crappy picture but I can’t recommend Gorilla Pies in the Valley highly enough. (This one was ordered well done.) They claim to be making Pittsburgh-style pies, and I’m not quite sure what that means, but it’s a knockout. I’ll take it over Pizza Wagon any day. Currently my favorite pie in LA, tied maybe with the Ham & Yeezy from Jon & Vinny’s. They also make lemon pepper chicken wings that are pretty mind blowing.

Gorilla Pies
12417 Burbank Blvd
Valley Village, CA

12 Likes

Lotta good eats in that area for banging opportunities - El Taco Llama for hard shell tacos, Tel Aviv Grill for shawarma, Chiang Mai Thai cuisine for khao soi. There’s also a pair of food trucks that usually hang out there that I have not yet tried out.

3 Likes

+1 this place rules. Iirc his explanation is that Pittsburgh style isn’t a thing but he doesn’t want to get boxed in by calling it any style in particular.

2 Likes

Those are some fighting words

4 Likes

I agree… And I am intrigued and totally want to try this place out when the whether cools down… One can never have too many good pizza joint. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gotta be honest, I tried Pizza Wagon because so many on this board love it, and I would give it a 4-5 max out of 10. Both me and the gf were extremely disappointed.

On another note, if anyone makes their way to Ventura, hit up Fluid State Beer Garden. Really solid pizza imo

17 Likes