Chef Sal is selling Il Grano

After 18 years, Chef Sal has decided to move on. But not immediately.

For the next few months, he will likely be holding some special farewell dinners/events at Il Grano.

Just a friendly public service announcement…

:frowning:

Seriously, this really really bums me out.
I have to get in there and do a big blow out meal before he closes up shop.

Thanks for the info. I’ve never been to Il Grano, but I’ll miss La Bottega next door… Might try to pop in for a visit.

I just got an email from Il Grano. This is their last week of business and are offering an extended tasting menu composed of their greatest dishes served over the last 18 years.

If you ask me, this is a STEAL for $99.

ARRIVEDERCI, GOODBYE

THIS IS OUR LAST WEEK OF IL GRANO

1997-2015: 18 years, 18 plates of love and history

For the past 18 years, I’ve changed the menu to capture the season’s best, our spirit and creativity. The following dishes are some of the first, most loved and popular (due to seasonality, some are missing)

Dishes served family style

All wines priced to lowest amount found in LA on winesearcher.com

Thank you for your support over the years. I will miss you all,

Sal

Benvenuto welcome bites from our amuse repertoire (1997-2015)

Crudo   tuna, artichoke hearts, arugula…. our first crudo ever   (1997)

Carpaccio  dry aged filet carpaccio, 24 month parmigiano, arugula, olio nuovo  (1997)

Burrata JJ Farms hachiya persimmon, imported burrata, arugula   (2002)

Radicchio warm radicchio & endive salad, crispy pancetta, balsamic dressing (1997)

Fiori ricotta and marjoram filled zucchini blossoms (1998)

Polipo grilled octopus, baby bok choi, squash, crispy baby artichoke (2000)

Bigoli al Nero squid ink pasta, Santa Barbara sea urchin sauce extra sea urchin (1999)

Tagliolini Lobster tagliolini pasta, Maine lobster sauce, Maine lobster  (1998)

Ravioli di Pera  Frog Hollow Farms warren pear & gorgonzola ravioli  (2004)

Lasagna Verde spinach lasagna, beef, bechamel (1997)

Spaghetti Funghi mixed mushrooms, pancetta, spring garlic (1998)

Ravioli di Zucca buttenut squash ravioli Modena style, butter, sage (2000)

Branzino italian striped bass oven-baked, winter vegetable medley  (1997)

Black Cod  Alaskan black cod, winter caponata, pea tendrils, lobster sauce (2010)

Filetto grilled tenderloin, mashed potatoes, port gorgonzola sauce (1997)

Anatra duck breast, Brussel sprouts, sunchoke puree, smoked duck reduction (2003)

Streusel Frog Hollow Farms  pear streusel, vanilla gelato  (2009)

Cioccolata three layer chocolate cake  (2003)

Available by the glass tonight: 2004 Sassicaia 

$99/person

wine pairing 75 & 95 

11359 Santa Monica Blvd,Los Angeles, CA 90025

www.IlGrano.com
email: info@ilgrano.com phone: 310 477 7886

18 courses…for $99?.. holy shit…

Saturday 12/12/15 is their last day. Reservations have been made.

My impression from the menu posted above was that it was 7 courses and that each “squiggle” represented a set from which you choose one. Still a good deal, IMHO.

Went to La Bottega last night. We’ve never been to Il Grano b/f, so it seemed fitting to end our experience at La Bottega (which we’ve been to many times). Obviously a totally diff menu and ambiance, but the food reminded us why we like(d) the place so much. :smile:

I’m rather sad to read that the space will be taken over by yet another gastropub + lounge. When will mom and pop type places become fashionable?

That is a good point.

It also states that it would be served ‘Family Style’, I wonder how that will work for the table if each were to select something different in each ‘area’ of the menu.

More importantly…how will it work if you show up alone and want to eat dinner?..

Community Service Announcement: Chef Sal is now cooking at Marino on Melrose (near Providence)…