Chi SPACCA

The vegetable dishes at Chi Spacca have often been among the highlights of my meals there.

The focaccia di Recco is great but so filling I don’t always order it.

From the current sample menu, for a party of four, I’d maybe order tongue, octopus or squid, lamb shepherd’s pie, tomahawk pork chop, and two or three of the broccoli di cicco, cauliflower, mushrooms, and cabbage. But the menu changes all the time.

With fewer than four people I’d eat next door at the Osteria.

2 Likes

thanks! is there a reason you prefer the lamb Shepard’s pie to the bone marrow? always heard the bone marrow is the signature

I’ve never had any pie there. I’d order any lamb dish.

1 Like

the bone marrow pie with accompanying robuchon potatoes are great but really rich, enough to share between two for a main.

my favorites are the porchetta fredda, veal tongue, anchovy butter, spacca caesar or little gem, chicken, tomahawk pork chop.

5 Likes

Yep… the beef pie is top of my list but I like the whole menu

1 Like

is this space at all child-friendly (4-6 age range)?

also, is there a resource somewhere in the forum on child-friendly restaurants? my search skills are coming up with nothing…

I would say no the space is small and the tables are packed tight. No where for the kids to roam if they’re bored.

1 Like

There are some outdoor tables. It’s already so noisy from Melrose traffic outside that you have some extra leeway. The servers at Spacca are also particularly gracious, so assuming your kids are generally polite diners and can handle a 90+ minute meal you’d be totally fine.

1 Like

How do you define a child friendly restaurant? IMO whether a restaurant is kid-appropriate really depends on 1) the temperament of the kid and 2) the manners their parents have taught them. Some 4-6 year olds would be fine almost anywhere barring long tasting menus or very formal spots and some kids would struggle to stay seated and generally quiet for even a quick meal at a pizzeria.

3 Likes

It really depends how used your kids are to restaurants. In nearly all restaurants the expectation should be that kids shouldn’t run around if they are bored but are used to sit at the table for 1.5-3 hours. Chi Spacca falls into this category.

2 Likes

Are there restaurants where kids should be allowed to run around ?

1 Like

fair points from all, and thanks for the info on chi spacca!

surely no full-on running throughout the dining room, but playing under the table, walking around within e.g. a 3 foot radius of the table, i would consider more borderline that in some restaurants would be very intrusive on the other customers and the staff, but in others would be passable… a lot of outdoor dining setups would fall into this gray area

Very child friendly… Unless they dont stay in seats… like others said

even DeSano’s has huge signs saying no running and it’s the size of a gym… this is why we go to wineries and breweries so much

1 Like

Chuck E cheese.

Not sure if I would call it a restaurant

The only place children should running around in a restaurant,imho.

Chi Spacca is not a place where being way from or under the table seems appropriate. It’s pretty tight quarters when full. I can see taking kids to Pizzeria Mozza or maybe if they were well-behaved Osteria Mozza.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/chi-spacca-los-angeles?select=xJZ3zF4WZrBLvKLvmUcybA

1 Like

It’s pet peeve of us but kids who act normal in restaurants like Osteria Mozza etc are not well-behaved but normal-behaved - it shouldn’t be anything unique or “special” if a kid can sit and enjoy a meal in a restaurant without the need to run around or be distracted by an IPad etc.

4 Likes