Chicago Style Pizza: Rance's in Costa Mesa. Any reports?

Actually, I’m generally not a deep dish pizza fan. II only like stuffed pizzas; I’m not a fan of the typical cornmeal crust Chicago deep dish pizza.

I had Hollywood Pies; it’s not my thing. I only tried Rance’s stuffed style pizza.

Pretty good stuff.

The owner himself delivered 4 pies to the office.

The Rances Favorite vanished before I arrived. Meat lovers had a nice crust that held up. Tomato sauce flavorful and bright. Lots of meat and cheese.

Would like to go dine in house just to see how good it is fresh but wouldn’t hesitate to deliver again.

3 Likes

Chicago is always better after waiting a bit I think

Thanks for reporting back! Definitely on my list of places to try now.

My pizza didn’t look anything like that. I got the pan style. I think I messed up. That looks good

Yup, as I said before, the stuffed style is the only style to get at Rance’s.

Might get a pie togo today. Any must orders?

Stick with the stuffed. The regular is ok, but they’re going for a ‘Pequod’s / Burt Katz’ style charred mozzarella thing, which was ok, but didn’t quite hold together.

Get the stuffed with your favorite whatevers. The sausage is a nice italian style with fennel/anise.

For the record I think Hollywood Pies is better, but Rance’s is a worthy version. Send photos. I’m jealous.

I think that’s a matter of preference for crust. I like both, but I prefer Rance’s to Hollywood Pies because I prefer the stuff pastry type crust versus cornmeal.

I agree about sticking to getting the stuffed pie at Rance’s.

RIP Burt Katz

I grew up near Burt, and he and my father were casual friends over their shared love of old radios and other such stuff. He was famously stubborn about his way of doing things, and it meant that he left a legacy on Chicago pizza that will outlive him by generations. His wife is the sweetest woman you’ll ever meet.

Last I heard, a couple of guys were in talks with him to buy Burt’s Place in Morton Grove and get his recipes and such. He passed before they could close but they’re talking with his wife now. We can only hope.

I’ll be visiting Chicago in April. It will be the first time I’ve gone home and haven’t gone to Burt’s. Pequod’s will do for the food, but only Burt was Burt.

1 Like

Reopened last weekend

OM Fuckin’ G!!!

Well. I know where stop one will be.

Reserve your pizza dough now :slight_smile:

Man. I love Chi pizza so damn much but with my extreme gastritis it is one of the few foods that is guaranteed to set me the fuck off… it’s so damn acidic usually. like i can drink a cup of pure lemon juice and it wont be as bad…

The tomato sauce in Chicago pizza is often not cooked down very much, so the tomatoes probably retain a lot of their acidity.

Me? Lightly lactose intolerant. Bring on the lactaid!!!

Acid doesn’t cook out, does it? Just focuses from cooking. I’m no acidologist though

Huh. I sort of assumed it would soften which I associate with ‘less acidic’ but I don’t know. To the googles!!

And the answer seems to be that I am, unsurprisingly, talking out the wrong end. Cooking doesn’t lower acidity. Every solution to how to make acidic foods less so is either to add cream/butter or baking soda. Which makes perfect sense.

One offered solution is adding cinnamon which lessen the acidic flavor but doesn’t say anything about the actual pH.

Needless to say, none of those things belong in a pizza sauce.

2 Likes