Chicken ( raw) for home cooked Roast Chicken, any suggestions?

I get the Empire Kosher Broiler Chickens in the frozen case at Costco. They’re smaller than those you find in markets these days. I look for ones with a price in the $6 range. When I want to cook one, I fill a sink with hot water and drop the packaged chicken in for an hour or so, and it’s ready to go. These birds are really tasty - everyone gives compliments on how good they are. Hopefully you’re a Costco member or know someone who is.

1 Like

It may not be up to the standards you desire, but I recalled that Trader Joe’s stocks an “All-Natural” roasting chicken. In there today I noted that they were all over six pounds. I realize “All-Natural” doesn’t legally mean squat, and its not an organic air-chilled chicken, but it might do for a traditional English Sunday dinner - which sounds great to me. If we ever meet in person I will try and wrangle an invite.
Tonight I am cooking a three pound, organic, air-chilled bird I found at the Galleria, a Korean market in Northridge. Zuni/SeriousEats style with bread salad, and Alice Waters’ blood orange, beet and arugula salad. At times like this I really miss Ebeth as there will be so many leftovers…

3 Likes

Zuni, one of my favorite cookbooks, have to break it out every once in a while to read sections of it

1 Like