Chifa Eagle Rock

Chifa definitely looks like a restaurant opened by a designer

3 Likes

So am I going there to eat or get fitted for a hipster fashion show?

4 Likes

Anybody try it yet?

Warrior: Chifa is a pretty good neighborhood restaurant. They serve flavorful dishes that excite the palate with lots of white pepper, Sichuan pepper, and chiles. I don’t understand how Yelpers could find this food bland. Compared to what, Sichuan? I thought the best dishes tonight were the prawns and the sautéed cauliflower, both of which were quite good. More ordinary dishes were the tiradito, the fries, and the mapo tofu. I thought the soy sauce (si yao) chicken was chewy and clearly inferior to Pearl River Deli’s rendition. (I prefer PRD’s mapo tofu too, though that is a closer call.) I found the pandan tofu pudding with ginger syrup unpleasantly medicinal. Overall, I wouldn’t make a point of going back, but it is a good option in the area.

Peony: I was very excited to try Chinese-Peruvian food. My overall impression is the majority of the dishes taste like a spicier version of Cantonese food. I tasted white pepper in almost all the dishes. The dishes were well-made, and the restaurant seemed very popular. I feel I would return to this restaurant if it were in my neighborhood, but since I’m actually closer to the SGV, I may not travel all the way to Eagle Rock just for this food.

4 Likes
2 Likes