Chili Crisp Recommendations

This stuff?

1 Like

The Fly By Jing Sichuan chili crisp and three-year aged doubanjiang I ordered three months ago just shipped.

Yep! That exact stuff. I’m on my fifth Jar… love it with all sorts of stuff and especially noodles…

3 Likes

Thanks!! I’ve seen it but was skeptical if it could deliver the CRUNCH. Especially with such big garlic pieces… I was worried they’d be plasticky. Will try it for sure! :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

i like adding the lao gan ma (AKA angry housewife, except it’s a guy) when i make cold chicken sesame noodles at home. not really spicy, but like adding a subwoofer to a stereo system.

4 Likes

I don’t like the Fly By Jing nearly as much as Lao Gan Ma. Mostly oil and the solid bits aren’t crunchy. Pretty hard fail.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the momofuku chili crunch? My understanding is he used Mexican chilies in his version? Only available online AFAIK

Agree the oil ratio is too high and it could be crunchier but I do like the level of sichuan peppercorn in Fly By Jing. I feel like it gives a nice little tingle I don’t get from Lao Gan Ma but I’m not sure it’s worth it.

1 Like

Is it peanuts, fried chili bits or fried garlic imparting the crunch?

Lao Gan Ma’s crunch comes from soybeans and onion. The ingredients on the label don’t include peanuts or garlic.

My jar of Fly By Jing has nothing comparably crunchy in it. There are beans but they’re more mushy than crunchy. It’s relatively bland, too. Definitely won’t be buying that again.

2 Likes

thanks for the info wonder if they fry their soy beans?

Maybe roasted. That would explain how they’re so crunchy. That’s what the LA Times’ DIY recipe calls for.

1 Like

Ah that makes sense thanks for the info.

Lol

6 Likes

Not for everyone!

Uhhhh wtf

2 Likes

I can’t hate until I try I guess but doesnt sound appealing.

1 Like

I’ve used a little of the Fly By Jing but haven’t done a deep dive. I don’t mind the extra oil because it’s good for marinade, but I do not like the sweet preserved black beans. I’ll make use of it, but want to get the Lao Ma Gan Chili Crisp for a reference point on what it tastes like traditionally.

Mixed with Sweet Chili Sauce.

3 Likes

One is much darker than the other.

1 Like