3 Likes

now serving

6 Likes

Best damn food bookstore around

4 Likes

scouting report @moonboy403

https://www.todaystartsherela.com/

1 Like

Looks like a Taiwanese breakfast joint. What’s the draw?

2 Likes

It’s Vivian Ku from Pine Crane/Joy

No draw I would just drive 10 minutes more on the 10 and go to Huge Tree Pastry but I am partial to them because I have been going to them all my life. They used to have the smallest restaurant in all of SGV when it was next to Diho Market (where Elite is)

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I don’t seven see their hours of operation.

i tried it a few weeks ago and posted it in the October rundown thread. Portions are smaller than Huge Tree Pastry and it’s pretty decent quality, but I’m not that experienced with Taiwanese breakfast. I did appreciate that they had vegan/vegetarian options for things that normally wouldn’t be at more traditional places. I can’t eat the scallion pancakes at Huge Tree because they’re made with lard (which I think is the traditional way it’s made, if I’m wrong, please correct me).

10 Likes

Thanks! I thought I remember reading it somewhere. I’m interested in their desserts for sure.

Yup, hanhgry gets the credit on the scoop for this one!

5 Likes

Not sure if this is the right topic to post in but it didn’t seem worth creating a new thread. Does anyone know what happened with Phoenix Inn (NOT Phoenix Bakery) regarding wage theft and if they ever paid out?

They popped up in a recent Eater listicle this week for 20 Classic Restaurants Every Angeleno Must Try and I was reminded why I hadn’t tried them.

1 Like

If they’re still open, presumably they paid the fines.

Unfortunately, it’s laughably untrue that a business needs to pay off those fines to stay in business. Having gone through the legal system for unpaid wages (along with dozens of colleagues at the same company) we ALL won our wage theft cases easily in small claims and/or the Labor Commissioner’s office. However, winning a case and getting the company to pay out are two different things entirely.

Very rough but easily backed up estimates we cobbled together showed the company owed at LEAST six figures in backpay and fines in California alone but I’ve yet to hear of a single person receiving any wage violation penalties and most didn’t even get their invoiced pay. That was in 2017 and the company is still up and running.

2 Likes

Phoenix was fined by the feds.

Do you have a citation showing that the feds collect on behalf of the plaintiffs? If so I’m genuinely glad to hear it but that’s not been my experience in other jurisdictions.

1 Like

There are no plaintiffs in an enforcement action.

Cool. Citation that the feds collected the penalties? Or even that they collect the money in any enforcement action like this? Seriously, I want that to be true and I asked if it actually happened because I want to find out.

My understanding is that after violations the USDOL investigators follow up to ensure compliance. Fines go up if they’re not paid promptly. For repeat violations the penalties go up and can include jail time.

Seems like there ought to be annual reports summarizing enforcement actions, fines levied vs. collected, etc.

it says in the link “WEST COVINA, CA – Fourteen restaurants in the greater Los Angeles area – operating under five different entities – will pay 100 employees a total of $126,142 after U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division (WHD) investigations found violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).”

Who knows how timely that is though.

My wife is a federal prosecutor - in cases with restitution it takes some time to get it to victims

2 Likes