Chinese or Thai on Christmas

We went to Chang’s Garden last year and it was very good. But we had not made a reservation and only got seated by the skin of our teeth, with our group at two adjacent tables instead of at one.

I did Chang’s last year for Christmas - it was great.
Seafood Village/Palace, Temple City, this year. Really looking forward to it.

1 Like

An even further trek.

J Zhou

Nice!

9 Likes

Chang’s is closed this year, liked that idea for convenience.

Sapp is open.

Chang’s must be one of the few. One can always find a few that are closed in the SGV, but, again the exception(s) rather than the rule.

Incorrect.

Chang’s is open tomorrow, Christmas Day.

Source? Restaurant manager/hostess

Sea harbour would also be my first choice for dinner on Christmas in SGV. They have so many “prestigious” dishes.

1 Like

glad to see that Sea Harbour is still at the top of your list, ipsedixit…i forgot to mention my recent efforts at finding what you, barryc and maybe chandavkl advised me on a while back…i was describing my love of a small tube-like noodle dish id had at Sea Harbour a few times…when i went back several months ago, i didnt see it on the menu…you CHers advised me to ask for chow cheong fun…i asked for it about a month ago but wasnt getting through to the waiter…the same manager who tried unsuccessfully the previous time, came to help me again…Ping Wang went to great lengths, even bringing out several different noodles that they made…but to no avail…then suddenly something came to him and he said i must be talking about "stir fried rice noodles with green beans in soy sauce…he brought it out and , lo and behold, it was the dish id been searching for…he even wrote out the name in chinese…i dont know why, he mustve seen a crazed desperate look in my eye, but Ping Wang certainly put the lie to the commonly held idea of poor service for caucasians in chinese restaurants! i’ll be going back tomorrow!

5 Likes

3 Likes

@ipsedixit I called to make a reservation and was told they are closed.

Interesting. I spoke with her this evening.

Doors open to ipse that are closed to the rest of us.

1 Like

Sea Harbor/Elite/Lunasia/Newport/insert-any-Canto-chiu-chow-seafood-dimsum-house ought to be the bottom of dining out list on Christmas Day for both Jews and Chinese. Just say no to the all around clusterF, especially because there are far more interesting Chinese dining options now in 2015.

And no, I’m not talking about going hot potting at Private Party just to look at the Commie uniform like you’re some kinda Columbusing Hollywood comedianne.

i got pulled into a dinner party of 11 at tasty noodle house tonight. if you know the size of the place, there was another party of 8 also seated simultaneously and more people waiting for 40 minutes for our tables…

merry christmas.

ok this one, i want to know wht it means.

Well, they were jammed from the moment they opened last year–can’t imagine why they’d be closed this year.

Well, I think that’s asinine. Saying there are “far more interesting” options than Cantonese is like saying Korean cuisine is far better than Japanese cuisine. That’s a personal preference. I think the dinner menu at Sea Harbour is very interesting and that it’s more of a special occasion restaurant than, let’s say, Mama Lu’s or the new darling Sichuan places.

See: My Meal at LA's First Communist Restaurant Didn't Have Many Options