Chocolate Chip Cookie Death Match

Wow thank you! Having you point out some ones you like that I haven’t gotten to yet has renewed my enthusiasm–I’ll definitely seek those out for the next batch.

I do skew toward more chewy/undercooked as my ideal chocolate chip cookie, so it is good reaffirm that everyone has different preferences and variety is good for all!

10 Likes

Nice work, cookie soldiers!

6 Likes

The Ivy chocolate chip cookie is iconic

1 Like

Adding Tommy&Atticus. While it’s not my ideal look or texture, it reinforced the notion that judging a book by its cover is sometimes (or often times) wrong. This giant, hefty block actually had an interesting light and crunchybuteversoslightlychewy texture on the outer circumference, which gave way to a dense center choc full of chunks and slabs of chocolate. If anything, it’s at least a cookie worth its $5 weight. I would get it again.

2 Likes

Little House Confections choc chip cookie here:

Not sure if the following belongs here, but…

Bristol Farms now sells “The Cookie” dough for home baking! It’s even separated into 6 servings for you! I will fully admit that I was almost too lazy to pre-heat the oven. ::sigh:: But not too lazy to finish w/ some fleur de sel. Should I be using sea salt instead?

Each serving size is WAY smaller than the in-house version (yes, we overbaked the first set):

And that’s actually just fine b/c sometimes you just want a normal-sized cookie.

With the size difference, you’re not going to get the same mouth feel you get w/ the full-sized cookie. I think the chocolate might also be diff b/c there was much more bitterness w/ the smaller ones.

Still, they def scratch the itch and make a very good cookie.

5 Likes

Batch Seven

Let’s get it.

Xenia

Popping up out of Melody a couple times a week with Mediterranean fare, Xenia’s freshly baked chocolate chip cookies are the only dessert on the menu. The cookie is a real looker, mainly because of the x-large salt crystals. The flavor is also spot on with appropriate amount of chocolate. The real kicker here though is that it comes out essentially fresh out of the oven, so the warm cookie has crisp edges and a very chewy center. It’s almost worth a trip to sit out on Melody’s patio and get a bottle of wine just so you can eat a bunch of these cookies too.

Erewhon

First up is the regular chocolate chip. It’s firm, not very chewy and has a pleasant wheaty flavor, but you can tell it’s definitely vegan. That said, it’s one of the better vegan cookies out there if that’s your thing.

The other option is the oatmeal chocolate chip, which is soft but still manages slightly crisp edges. There’s a familiar oatmeal cookie spice profile, but it’s restrained and compliments the chocolate quite nicely. It’s one of the better oatmeal influenced chocolate chip cookies out there, but still no match for anything a bakery puts out.

Of the major super market chain cookies, Bristol Farms remains king, and Whole Foods’ brown butter chocolate chip edges both of Erewhon’s offerings.

Sqirl

The special honeycomb cacao nib cookie must be the thinnest cookie I’ve found in the city. It’s super chewy and doesn’t have much chocolate (the nibs are very small) but it’s still a great bite. The real star is the honey flavor, and while it may not be consistently on the menu like their normal chocolate chip, if you’re in the mood for something a bit off from center, it’s a worthy diversion.

Simply Salad

Another lunch spot with a chocolate chip cookie that’s way better than it has any right to be. There’s not really any crispness to the edges but it’s super gooey and underdone in the center. It’s deliciously salty and coming from a salad place, it’s pretty much the perfect way to destroy your healthy lunch. Another notable observation is that’s it’s also the perfect size that it’s not going to be overwhelming to eat at once. And with only nine ingredients listed on the back, it’s clear that that it’s a classic and flawless rendition.

Mendocino Farms

The standout lunch chain’s chocolate chip cookie is on the cakier and thicker side, and despite being baked through it’s soft in the center and a bit chewy. It doesn’t reach gooey status and with just solid flavor, it’s serviceable. In the office lunch power ranking it’s last behind Lemonade, Tender Greens, and Simply Salad.

Pitchoun!

“That’s the way the cookie crumbles” is all you need to know about this phoned in rendition. While it’s mini chocolate chips give it great dynamic contrast, it’s missing crisp edges or a chewy center and kind of just falls apart when bitten into. The texture is so disappointing that this is one that you can skip.

McConnell’s Ice Cream

McConnell’s stealthily sells their chocolate chip cookies out of a small case near the register and are kind of easy to miss. They’re on the smaller and thinner side, but with very crisp edges and a chewy center. it’s quite satisfying in a non-overwhelming way. And yes, it’s probably best paired with ice cream, but is also one of the best pound for pound I’ve come across.

Bianca

The cafe/restaurant near The Platform has a robust pastry program, so it’s easy to imagine they’d at least make a competent chocolate chip cookie. On a scale of nowhere-close to nailed-it, it’s heavily towards the nailed-it end. Yes, it has perfectly crisp edges and a chewy center, but the best part of the cookie is the insane amount of chocolate discs packed inside. It’s like the only dough in this cookie is that on the outside keeping the thick chocolate layers in cookie form.

Laroolou

Back at it with the limited Stop Asian Hate Thiccie, the Laroolou crew has another winner. Their MO is absolutely packing their thiccie’s with as much as possible, so here they’ve got not only chocolate chips, but chopped toasted almond that have a slightly firmer texture than the usual walnuts, white chocolate chips that add creaminess, and tart cherries soaked in bourbon that contributes to a stickier texture. Of course the center is wonderfully undercooked, and with proceeds going to a worthy cause it’s one that you should snap up while you can.

Lodge

It’s revenge of the very large cookie. With probably the best salt scatter of all the cookies seen so far, crisp edges, and a delightful dough laced with miso umami, Lodge definitely has it’s point of view on what makes a good cookie. The biggest standout element is the complex mix of flours and grains they bakery uses here, which is a good thing because there’s really not much chocolate and makes the dough even more important. Overall, it’s salty, delicious, and one of the more interesting chocolate chip cookies out there, but one can’t help but wish for even 50% more chocolate to balance it out a bit more.

House of Gluten

Ordered out of the Quarter Sheets Pizza Club operation, Hannah Ziskin’s House of Gluten chocolate chip cookie is truly a superior cookie. An absolute diamond, it’s perfectly balanced between dough and chips and has a stunning amount of salt on it. This is one of the highlights of the batch and even if you’re not going to pick up a Quarter Sheets Pizza (though you should) it’s worth coming to ROW to get this chocolate chip cookie.

DeLuscious

It’s reasonable to be suspicious of a cookie that comes prewrapped in a bag (Is it fresh? How much do they really care?) but when the bag is slicked with grease on the inside though, it’s a very good sign. DeLuscious has a proven track record, and wow do they churn out a banger of a cookie. Wide and spread out and sweet and packed with chocolate, despite being delivered and wrapped in a little baggie it’s actually one of the fresher cookies I’ve gotten. In fact, ordering it on Postmates might actually be a feature, not a bug. While the delivery time may be spotty, it’s clearly packaged and sent right after it comes out of the oven.

To show how next level this cookie is, one only needs to look at the undercarriage, because as doughy as the top looks, it’s absolutely layered with chocolate just sitting there at the bottom. If you need anymore reasons to get this ASAP, it’s also perfect in every way from the undercooked center to the crisp edges.

Still going.

Batch One

Batch Two

Batch Three

Batch Four

Batch Five

Batch Six

14 Likes

Just had a really solid al fresco dinner at Jar on Beverly Blvd. Chef Suzanne Tracht’s menu just screams delicious comfort and classic dishes, all cooked expertly. The food runs along the lines of Dear John’s, except the side dishes at Jar are even better.

Anyhoo, the CCC at Jar is definitely one of the finest I’ve encountered in L.A. Medium-sized, crunchy edges, soft center, never cloyingly sweet, and all sorts of tasty. Its soulmate is a glass of milk (which, much to my delight, comes with the order of CCC)… Huge bite.

13 Likes

Bummed I missed this one last weekend. They either didn’t have it or I was rushing and missed it. :confused:

2 Likes

Is this cheating? $10 for 8 cookies. 3 flavors available - two chip chocolate chip, chocolate chip walnut and dark chocolate chocolate chip.

The cookies are significantly smaller than the OG but just as delicious since they come out warm.

The cookies are fully baked so you just heat them up in a toaster over for 5-7 minutes.

13 Likes

The Cookie had The Cookie

This is one helluva Cookie. Huge. Guaranteed fresh & hot. Piping hot lovers rejoice. It’s so big even quartered it’s like eating a Blondie. I typically like a thinner, crispy-chewy, salty-sweet choco chip cookie. But! this choco chip cookie is one of the best cookies in town! Sooo good. :hearts: Next time I’m buying them with a pint of whole milk… no almond or oat for this one. :blush:

Bristol Farms
Santa Monica Blvd
W. Hollywood.

18 Likes

Bristol farms does have a great selection of the cow juice! I’m a fan of the alexandre milk brand

It really is a big cookie almost the size of 2 or 3 cookies -you get a lot of it for the price!

4 Likes

Thanks for the milk tip! :cookie::milk_glass::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Yay!!! So glad you enjoyed it! I would savor one for the whole week…. It just hits all the note but there nothing like that first bite when you first grab it and it’s all warm… hmmm…

1 Like

But I can’t seem to stop eating the dough and actually bake some cookies! Although not a A+ chocolate chip cookie like many of the places on this list, in a pinch Chic fil A does a nice chocolate chip cookie that is served all hot and gooie.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip - Everson Royce Bar - DTLA

Still working on my cookie photography. But! Look at that thing about as big as my hand. It’s thin, chewy w/bittersweet chocolate and a nice, light, oatmeal flavor & texture. Maybe a tad more salt. A very good cookie.

12 Likes

Oh they’re back and walkable for me! Is it available for takeout?

I’m still working on my next batch, it’s been getting bigger and bigger and I might need to break it up into two parts :grimacing:

4 Likes

Yep, they’re back and I got the cookie togo!

1 Like

Batch Eight

It’s been awhile, and I’ve got a bunch stashed away in the pantry for another batch, so this is reaching back in time a bit. Anyway, let’s get it.

Hail Mary

Atwater darling Hail Mary is known for their pizza (it’s kind of stunning to see the amount of pies they were churning out during lockdown) but they shouldn’t be overlooked for their other vegetable dishes and their desserts. They of course have a chocolate chip cookie that is up to that same standard they hold for their pizzas (and is also quite a looker). The cookie itself is cooked through, with an interesting crisp to it’s edges that has an almost airy texture. The center is fairly chewy but not gooey or undercooked, and with a well balanced flavor, it’s is a perfect dessert for pizza.

Sinful Indulgence Chocolate Chip

I stumbled across Sinful Indulgence at a farmers market and had to know what they had up their sleeve, because they had quite a number of interesting flavors. Their cookies are cakey and have an interesting uniformity suggesting it was baked in a round. They’re not very chewy but have a solid flavor and isn’t overpoweringly sweet. But to be honest, seeing the rest of their menu (such as red velvet with cream cheese and strawberry cheesecake) you’d probably be better off going with something a bit wilder than the typical chocolate chip cookie that’s more of a fast ball down the middle.

Sinful Indulgence Milk Chocolate Caramel

I did want to give the slightly different take on the traditional chocolate chip cookie a look, and it did confirm that Sinful Indulgence’s game is probably better when it’s doing something different. The milk chocolate caramel is definitely the better of the two chocolate chip offerings. It adds more chewiness, punches the sweetness up a tad, and lends a slight nuttiness to the buttery base of the cookie dough. Go with this one or something crazier.

Corner Bakery

The first bad office worker lunch spot cookie. And honestly, just a bad cookie in general. Stay away.

Prime Pizza

I’ve covered the sneaky good corporate lunch chocolate chip cookies, and now I’m thinking that pizza joints may have the most underrated chocolate chip cookies. Prime Pizza’s is thin and chewy, with fantastically crisp edges. There are some flecks of oats (a bit reminiscent of Fat & Flour’s) and has a rock solid classic flavor. Really, it’s kind of like the pizza at Prime–just what you want, well executed, not going to let you down, not stepping outside it’s lane.

Superkind Cookies

Birthed through the pandemic, these shockingly fresh chocolate chip cookies are delivered in fours inside a pizza box to different parts of the city each week. I was a bit skeptical how they’d turn out, but damnit these were still hot like they were fresh out of the oven. It goes so far as striking me as even fresher than ones I’ve picked up at various other places that were presumably baked that day. The center of each cookie is taken right to the edge of cooked through but the edges are amazingly crisp. And cutting it to taste, it’s indeed a very tasty cookie overall. The dough’s flavor is similar to a shortbread, which is interesting but fitting with the crispness of the edges. However, the most notable element is the alternating layers of milk and dark chocolate discs that’s perfectly bittersweet. I definitely admire chefs that make their cookies and pick a side—it creates consistency across the entire cookie and makes it clear that the chef believes this chocolate is the best for the job. Yet the mixture here works, because let’s be honest you kind of want it all at the same time. It adds up to a cookie that’s in the upper tier of Los Angeles chocolate chip cookies, but the USP of having it delivered so fresh and hot is something that not even many bakeries out there can guarantee unless they’re constantly baking new batches through the day. Find them through Instagram at @superkindcookies.

Rose Wilde / Red Bread

Another veteran baker that also makes some stellar cookies. These are harder to get than they should be, since Red Bread only ships or does pick up on Sundays in Santa Monica, but they’re worth it when you can grab them. They’re tasty with a hint of nuttiness in the base and superbly layered milk chocolate, and another example of a bakery that just nails its cookies. I hope that once Superfine Pizza opens back up, that these cookies will be on the menu there, as Chef Wilde is Rossoblu’s pastry chef as well.

Gemini Bakehouse

Recently opened in it’s new Silver Lake brick and mortar location, Gemini Bakehouse has become popular for their bread, pies, and recently a weekend breakfast sandwich. But on to their cookies–they’re lookers with some standout vanilla flavor in the base. With a great craggily surface, balance of chocolate chips, slightly crisp edge, and a chewy center, it doesn’t break the mold in any way, but it feels wholesome and satisfying.

Fat and Flour Bourbon Chocolate Pecan

Stop the presses. Chef Rucker’s new-ish vegan cookie is possibly better than the OG chocolate chip. It’s one of those that you wouldn’t notice is vegan if they didn’t tell you, which is possibly covered by the hint of bourbon to give it an extra layer of complexity. The toasted pecans add a nice nuttiness and crunch, and are restrained to a balanced ratio that compliments the chocolate and salt. This is a flex, where Chef Rucker is basically throwing down saying she doesn’t need dairy to still have the cookie championship belt.

Next batch coming soon!

Batch One

Batch Two

Batch Three

Batch Four

Batch Five

Batch Six

Batch Seven

14 Likes

I never would’ve thought about getting the CCC there. I already feel like such a pig when I order from there, but I guess why not go full glutton? :slight_smile:

Never heard of them but will certainly try based on your rec. I wonder if they put them in some sort of insulating bag to keep them warm??? Also interesting about the mix of milk vs. dark. ATK had a test taste (specifically of choc chips), and Julia’s fav was bittersweet, which she thought tasted more “traditional” than the semi-sweet (I hadn’t realized until watching that semi- and bittersweet were diff). So that combo of milk + dark in the cookie is intriguing…

3 Likes

Had the bourbon chocolate pecan last week, agreed that it’s one of the best cookies I’ve ever had. Did not realize that it was vegan.

1 Like