Chowpups, The Care and Feeding Thereof (Restaurants)

Same one who didn’t like chicken feet? We are prob brothers from a different mother… :wink:

Ah, but he had a teensy tinesy taste…just to qualify for his other grandmother’s challenge of “try ten new foods and get a new toy.”

We’re going to be in Seattle in a couple of weeks. Come up and we’ll share the chicken feet with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reminding the grasshopper that, yes, he does know what to do at a cheese counter, especially at the Ferry Building.

What’s cute is he automatically knows to bring home food. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Today, my son ate his first piece of nigiri. Let the journey begin. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Don’t you need to bring a kid?

Fify

7 Likes

The lady was sitting by herself with an adult sandwich and a kids meal. I was there with my wife at the table next to her for 20-30 minutes. No child in sight.

Our daughters and now their children, ages 2 to 6, like expensive cheeses. I actually hid a round from them one visit. At about $40/# I don’t love them that much. They can settle for the Cambozola or the Delice de Bourgogne!

Ouch that is pretty schemey

1 Like

So true, lol. My first thought was, “I should take him to Nobu!”

1 Like

How old is he???

I was in Madison, WI this weekend. Hook’s is from the area. Famed for their cave aged cheddar which is amazing but also very expensive. I was at the Saturday’s farmer market in Madison and Hook’s has a stand there. The 5 year old cheddar is $9 per lb. At the local WF the same exact cheese is sold for $35 per lb. I bought a big brick and my 7 year old went to town. It’s his absolute favorite cheese in the world (maybe tied with 24 month aged parmesan reggiano) but I refuse to buy it more than maybe 2-3 times per year because of the cost. I could not believe the mark up. The people from Hook’s were very aware of the mark up and just shrugged their shoulders.

3 Likes

My favorite cheese - so far - is Winnimere from Jasper Hill Farm in Vermont. I looked up that price from their website. Also it’s a “seasonal” cheese which I’m sure impacts the cost.

If you consider the difference between a producer offering their product at a FM stand and a food retailer/marketer offering the same producer’s product, the logistics, supply chain costs, overhead and opportunity costs are drastically different. I get what you’re saying on one hand, but on the other, one can’t be blind to the completely different purchase scenarios.

1 Like

I hear ya. I wasn’t aware that all those additional costs would turn a $9 product at the FM to a $35 product at retail.

1 Like

I’m guessing there’s at least one middleman between the cheese producer and WF. That wholesaler obviously has their cost structure.

Transportation is a cost that most don’t consider. The cheese goes from the producer to the wholesaler, then from the wholesaler to the retailer. Trucks, fuel, insurance, warehouses, payroll…
Of course WF has a bunch of overhead costs as well. Also consider all of their full service counters. The payroll must me astronomical. Their cheese counter is usually pretty good. The selection and quality are first rate. It’s one of the few areas of the store that I personally feel is worth checking out. We as consumers obviously pay for all of those things in one way or another. But It’s pretty amazing that food store is able to generate a profit with all things considered.

2 Likes