Christmas dinner

It will be interesting to see what we make. I am doing the traditional roast beef and Yorkshire pudding with extra crispy roast potatoes, green beans and salad. I thought about doing a Yule Log for dessert, but that is more of a Christmas Eve tradition and, apart from how cool it looks its not that exciting (and a lot of work). So I am doing an apple tart which should be a good choice after the rich beef and sides.
I spent today deconstructing a 16 lb. Prime ribeye roast (Whole Foods had a killer price) into ribs, ribeye cap, and a ribeye eye roast according to these instructions, Two Holiday Dinners: Rib Roast for Them, Ribeye Cap for You |. I managed to trim off almost all the fat and gristle and its sitting tied, uncovered and salted in the fridge. I will report back with pictures after tomorrow, and hope others do as well.

5 Likes

Smoked prime rib roast a la @Hungrydrunk tutorial. It turned out amazing.
Also had a Honeybaked ham and crispy roasted potatoes…and formage and charcuterie sourced from Epicurus Gourmet.

5 Likes

Beautiful pics! Here are mine…

Deconstructed prime rib which ends up being the eye with no fat or gristle. This was a huge hit and I still have the cap to cook.

Yorkshire pudding turned out incredibly well. I use seriouseats.com recipe, The Best Yorkshire Pudding Recipe. Great puff and flavor. Made tallow with the trimming from the roast for fat. So good!
Potatoes were great as well, but picture way out of focus. Sigh…

Green beans - simple Julia Child treatment with parboiling, refreshing in cold water and finishing by sauteing in butter. Big hit.

Apple tart for dessert. Turned out well but crust was a little tough because I rushed cooking it.
It was a lovely evening!

5 Likes

Beautiful Yorkshire pudding- they really puffed! Thank you for the link to recipe.

2 Likes

My family, relatives do bigger NYE dinners rather than Christmas

5 Likes

Ah yes the legacy of growing up in the Soviet Union. My Russian friends do the same, but now that they live here they add Western Christmas and Orthodox Nativity. Makes for a very festive season.
I hope yours was wonderful. Certainly looks like it!

2 Likes

Our families just aren’t religious. Christmas falls on first week of January so that’s where we would have been having our Christmas dinners but I can’t remember anyone ever doing that. NYE though, that’s a 2 day party

1 Like