Cinco de Mayo favorites!

Do you mark Cinco de Mayo? Cook in, dine out? What are some of your favorite dishes/venues?

Hahahhaah my friends always always go out for French food to celebrate the defeat of the French at the battle of Puebla

8 Likes

HA!! love it…

As a Mexican, we never really marked the day. It was just the week a case of beer was a little cheaper… We celebrate more the 16th of September which is actual independence day… Chile Rellenos/ En Nogada for other regions…

I do think because it’s more of a celebratory event, something like Sheet Pan Nachos are in order… Maybe some Danger Dogs… :wink:

5 Likes

I remember having great gorditas at my families home In ciudad Puebla, great with beer, tequila and older aunts lol. Any good local versions that you know of? I am always disappointed when I order it here

1 Like

Gorditas are one of those things that just needs to be served FRESH FRESH FRESH and with masa that has a grandma’s touch… The same with Sopes… it’s just so hard to get great ones outside of Mexico…

That being said, I do still like the ones from Ana Maria’s at GCM. It’s a balance there with the amount of beans, meat and toppings they add. It kinda make up for a not quite as fresh as it should be Gordita… Otherwise, we are due for another revival of antojitos in this town…

2 Likes

I’ll check it out & agreed, someone should do a Kombi style place with coffee/espresso a couple great pasteles in the morning then some chefy antojitos and aguas would be fun

1 Like

YES!!! With a legit Cafe de Olla. Guerilla Cafe is touting their CdO special this weekend and I’m like dude…. You should be serving that EVERYDAY.

dontgetmestarted.

1 Like

Going to prepare an enchilada casserole to nibble on this weekend. Maybe visit my favorite Mole restaurant during the week…

2 Likes

Enjoy your tacos today!

Time to get culinary inspiration from Mexico again. Cinco is Friday, May 5th. Mexican cooking has become so popular. Anyone been watching Eva Longoria Searching for Mexico?

I have watched a few episodes of the Eva show. It’s better than I thought, although she hit some pretty already well covered places because it a piece about her and her life in Mexico. I do want to find a El Pastor stand that has onions underneath the Trompo though.

Cinco this year is a Friday! I may hit El Tepayac for their Taquitos. I’ve been longing them forever. Also my favorite Cafe de Olla as of late has been from Burrito Break in DTLA… which probably will lead me to have at least one of their super yummy Breakfast Burritos…

2 Likes

Haven’t watched yet, but Bill Esparza had an interesting and combative series of instagram stories about the show and more generally indigineity, the Colombian exchange, and the whitewashing of certain foodways. Thought about making a restaurant meta thread, but not sure if his posts are archived/accessible.

1 Like

Since Cindo de Mayo is an American celebration, suggested menu:

1 Like

Bill is a tough customer. I did not see the stories, but I know I probably would agree a lot with him. That is why I qualified it as better than I thought. Eva’s lens isn’t that of a culinary expert, but she does live in Mexico for a good chunk of the year and has been involved with and married to a man who had the entire pulse of the country on his mind for most of his career. So she does have genuine ties there. She’s just coming from an area of super high privilege and some of that POVs is coming across in the narrative.

3 Likes

Maybe because the holiday celebrates the battle of Puebla I always think of food from that area which had always had great food. Or do what some of my friends do amd celebrate the defeat of the French by rearing French food and avoid the whole mess at super crowded Mexican restaurants.

Sorry for the mishap above. Just wanted to give a shout out to Birria Tacos. We scoffed down a few flavorful ones at a favorite spot last night…

2 Likes

Eva’s most recent episode of Searching for Mexico visited Jalisco & Guadalajara. A wonderful and tempting hour of TV…

2 Likes