Citrin's Charcoal in Venice

Yeah, they completely debone and slice the chicken for you. I am not sure whether that’s done pre or post cooking.

It was $115 for all the dishes pictured including tax + tip.

I have not had the chicken there but I really like to eat chicken on the bone.
Still, everything I have had there has been tight.

Nice report! I don’t think $155 for all that food (since it seems like it was pretty good) sounds that bad, actually. I’ll try it on a special occasion (which is coming up in only ~6 wks). :slight_smile:

You will be quite happy to know that it’s $40 cheaper than you are thinking then haha, only $115, not $155.

Some of the close-ups may make it seem like more food than it is honestly. I’m not a huge eater. I did take hope half the cabbage, half the chicken, and half the collards salad though. I imagine that two less hungry people could’ve done ok, or perhaps ordered a side or two and been fine though. So I guess reasonably speaking the place works out to around $60-$70 per person (including tax + tip).

I don’t really share that preference myself. I would be fascinated to know what you think of the chicken at Charcoal though. I may just never really eat grilled chicken enough to know if it was truly great, or really just average passing itself off as something awesome. It was fun to eat, but it was also $29 for a half chicken (though that’s quite cheap in today’s world, heck, Salt’s Cure serves their half chicken for $32…)

Oops. Typo. I did recall is was $115. :wink:

From LA Arts

Charcoal Sizzles!

Story / Photo By Kymberly Chase

Seriously hot! Chef Josiah Citrin, Michelin star chef of Melisse, has done it again with the smoldering chow at Charcoal Venice. This steakhouse restaurant focuses on smoking meats and charcoal grilling in the coals. I went twice in one week to satiate my addiction to the smoked lamb rib meat, which falls off the bone and into your mouth. When you make your reservation request the smoked duck in advance to ensure you do not miss out on a 21-day aged succulent masterpiece, with a myriad of in-house dipping sauces tableside.

The restaurant has a communal atmosphere and most dishes feature large, family-style portions, although there are some smaller starters, including the delectable tartare selection, which includes beef heart and lamb. There is also an array of farmers’ market vegetables, such as a whole head of cabbage baked in the coals until black on the outside and smoky on the inside, and the crisp collard green salad with fresh chopped yams and aged cheddar cheese and a lemon-raisin vinaigrette that will please the pickiest of non-meat eaters.

The unique cocktail menu offers modern, spirit-forward interpretations, as well as approachable riffs and a solid set of craft brews from local purveyors. And of course Chef Citrin fare lends itself well to wine, so the restaurant’s curated list includes the chef’s favorite producers. Service is friendly and excellent. It’s a foodie’s paradise! Check it out.

Charcoal Venice is located at 425 Washington Boulevard in Venice.