Clifton's Cafeteria - can QPR be a negative value?

that sounds good or hit up both for lunch if Clifton’s happens to fucking suck.

but if you go for dinner there’s SugarFish or Industriel or Bestia or a myriad of other fucking joints to hit up after a disappointing Clifton’s.

and now I might know why you haven’t hit it up just yet, because you still want to hold on to your nostalgic image of Clifton’s and if you visit and it ain’t no fucking good it will just utterly ruin that piece of nostalgica for you.

I can relate if that’s what’s going on.

Thanks. I Felt the same way about the La Barbara’s Pizza, except that did not disappoint at all, in fact it way exceeded my expirations. I don’t think Clifton’s will. Another tiny piece of my childhood crushed. At least I have Tail 'O The Pup to live for….Happy Thanksgiving!

we should really get a FTCKERS meet going for the auto how. I will probably be going at least twice. I mean it’s just more fun than the Zoo or Echo Park Lake

1 Like

That’s what I did a few weekends ago. Got on the Expo and headed downtown for the day. But it was more like GCM for brunch, then Clifton’s. We tried a couple of dinners. The roast beef was dry, they were out of the fried chicken and swedish meatballs. The stuffing wasn’t half bad. Thought the portions were very generous for the $13? for dinner w/2 sides. Dinners also come with a small bread roll. Boxed everything up after a few bites, handed it to a homeless person. Then we headed down to Little Jewel for dinner.

1 Like

Was at a preview event at the LA Auto Show on Wednesday night and it was catered by Nest.

If I was heading to the show, and was thinking of a place to lunch or dine at afterwards, Nest would be my choice.

Hmmmm… Never heard of the place! I was wondering what a good place to eat Sunday dinner would be…

But would TonyC accept the dim sum there??? :wink:

you don’t go to WP24 for the dimsum. and i can’t afford that kinda dimsum, anyhow ($18 for 6 pieces ish)

but it’ll be dead that early in the day, and it’ll be ok for the runts to run around lounge… or, i’ll stick to my standby: Cemitas Poblanas Mi Magdalena.

As someone who had eaten at both the old downtown location, just before the remodel, and at the Century City location when it was still there (a zillion years ago) , I gotta say that nothing in any of the reviews of the relaunch makes me in the least bit tempted to try it until there are major changes. I live in ### Silverlake; Clifton’s ###*# now hipster-ironic decor simply annoys me, and sure ain’t a feature. Those who want nostalgic middle-America Thanksgiving, I suggest you go to The Pantry, If I want cafeteria food, I’ll talk to one of my friends at LA Times, which used to have a pretty good “employees and guests only” cafeteria

i’m down for a fucking food meet up, given that the GCM is fucking included and perhaps some smoked pomfret, or some drinks from one of those newfangled, mixologily complex in the old bank district or south park, varnish, i haven’t been to in fucking ages, but i’m definitely fucking down.

and if there’s fucking beef ribs ???

well, then, we are truly onto fucking something.

1 Like

@TonyC: I was looking at the dinner menu, which seems like it’s a $50pp 3-course set menu on Sundays… Assuming that 1/2 the cost of the meal is to pay for the view, the price actually seems fairly reasonable. Or am I reading the website incorrectly?

We recently did the opposite with a group of friends. It was something we had planned before the word of their awful food got around. Some folks were tempted to cancel (Some did) but most of us wanted to give it a fair shake…

After waiting a bit in the line… before we got into the cafeteria we saw this sign:

It’s like “Yeah, we know your experience is going to be shitty now… but PLEASE give us a try again in some undisclosed time in the future!!”

And you know, the food was not bad or as over priced as advertised. Especially considering how most places in DTLA you are paying a bit of Urban premium anyway. What was really upsetting was that they were out of SO MANY THINGS. At 4pm on a Sunday!! What self respecting cafeteria runs out of Fried Chicken! WhuT?!

Anyway, we picked up very little food. The best thing was the Clam Chowder which was Potato Chowder and the Cranberry Relish on the “Turkey” Sandwich (Again, inexplicably they ran out turkey for the sandwiches and were using chicken)

So yeah, if someone you know REALLY wants to go. Get a thing of French Fries (they looked good) and go to Bier Biesel or Kazu Nori afterwards. We were willing to travel and headed down to Little Jewel.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Ok here’s what I did…I remembered it was a Saturday, new plan… headed on the Expo line to the Red Line to Langer’s for breakfast (only 25 minutes from La Cienega Station) For the first time had the wonderful pastrami & eggs (hand cut pastrami on the side) with hash browns and rye $13.95. Got a chance to tell Norm how great it was too… Back on Red Line to the Expo line to the Auto Show. After 3 hours I will still too stuffed from Langer’s to venture over to Clifton’s. I promise next time….

4 Likes

Langer’s to the rescue!

3 Likes

Anybody watch CBS Sunday Morning this past Sunday? Nice piece on Clifton’s but they really didn’t talk about the food so much, more about the building and the old man. Loved the old photos.

2 Likes

My wife and I both began our adult working lives at The Broadway department store in Century City in 1966. Not sure how we’d have survived without that Clifton’s, though she had plenty of hot fudge sundaes at The Broadway restaurant IIRC.

She’s lobbying hard for us to visit the newly opened Clifton’s but all the horrible reviews are making me pray for a quick walk-through followed by a visit to Grand Central Market. Maybe a plate of Jello for old times sake?

LOL!! As I mentioned in my last post, the biggest sin is that they run out of things. They didn’t even have Jello when we went!! :confused:

I would say, make the wife happy and go, share a plate of something for laughs and then go to GCM to have a real meal.

–Dommy!

It’s relatively inexpensive and not inedible by any means. It’s fine for nostalgia’s sake. As Dommy recommends

Ask for a box and give the leftovers to a homeless person on your way to GCM. Pro tip: by the condiment stations are some plastic wrapped disposable cutlery. Grab some of those and extra napkins to put in the bag. The gal we gave the food to seemed appreciative.

I’ve posted this on another site, but I’m lost as to why the owner didn’t hire a chef from a Las Vegas hotel who was in charge of the buffet. Someone who knows how to feed thousands of people a day, and not an upscale chef.

It’s not like the food was ever to die for (at least for me), just a kitschy place with fairly inexpensive food.

Also, no reason they should be running out of stuff at this point.

2 Likes

Just go. Grab some coffee and a slice of pie, and a big helping of nostalgia.

Then leave, with your dignity and nostalgia intact.

1 Like

Bubbly One:
I think that would have been way too obvious and logical of a choice. I think the owners wanted to think outside the box, and we see how well that has been working out for them.

1 Like