Coffee beans worth a drive

Thanks for the tip. They are one of the few shops that I have been to in LA that REALLY nerds out on coffee. To the extent of making all of the customers smell the fresh grounds. haha. (I like this, but it makes more casual customers visually uncomfortable.)
It’s like Endorffeine, but warmer, less sterile.

How do you roast? Popcorn popper?
You have an espresso setup at home?

1 Like

Thanks for this rec. Very good coffee, only downside is its a bit expensive.

Try Klatch, they typically roast on Monday and are packed and shipped day after. Makes its way to me on the East coast by Wed/Thurs

Anyone pulling something comparable to the “Angel Stain” from Bear Pond Espresso in Tokyo?

Pic from http://www.alifewortheating.com/

3 Likes

I love that it almost feels like a bar. But you are right. Lol deadly serious about coffee.

I’ve done stovetop, air popper for years in college and after that a behmor although I don’t roast as much as I used to. Always recommend sweet maria’s. So much great info and service from them.

1 Like

I was subscribed to Trystero for a few years. I moved and my subscription didn’t get renewed. I was being lazy and had a lot of crap going on. One of the worst decisions I made. Greg has the goods.

Would-be FTCer Chris Farley did not enjoy decaffeinated Colombian coffee crystals.

Not that I have found. And, God, have I looked… The Angel Stain is the best espresso I have ever had. Period. Nothing even comes close. Disclaimer: I have never been to Italy. Here is a post I made about the Angel Stain at Bear Pond in a different thread.

2 Likes

Highly reccommend visiting DayGlow coffee in Silverlake or Weho! They curate a diverse selection of retail beans from roasters from around the world like: Korea (Fritz), Spain (Little Marks), Sweden (Koppi), etc.

Their prices are at a premium but it always makes my week to discover new roasters and treat myself to some beans there.

1 Like

Have not come across any coffee shops selling beans that are roasted on other continents. Sounds intriguing but I’m curious about the roast dates. Do you find them to be relatively recent roast dates?

Definitely want to check this place out soon!

Usually the international bags I get from them have pretty recent roast dates (2-4 weeks off roast).

Not sure if they are impacted now a days by COVID shipping times or not though. This is a good reminder for me to go visit them soon : )

If you live in a city, i plead with you to just drop by your local roasters. Coffee shops are like the first mark of a community, it’s where folks congregate and to see them suffer while people are just ordering stuff shipped from other area really stinks. We have amazing beans all around town. Your occasional bag makes a difference.

Off to City Bean Roasters today

6 Likes

Says the guy who gets cases of beer shipped from all over the state :wink:. I agree we should support small and local as much as possible, and buying exotic beans from local shops seems like a pretty good option if you’ve got the itch!

Kumquat sells beans from distant lands too.

2 Likes

haha. busted . to be fair i’ve only ordered beers this way twice and both were recent. usually just pick up locally.

1 Like

Totally! And I agree that coffee shops (and breweries) are important and we should make sure we support our locals first. Just giving you a hard time.

Local and independently owned if possible. I too am guilty of buying beer but local-ish from SD and Casa Agria. Definitely spend enough money at Green Cheek, BL, Mr Ks Liquor though.

I’ve been buying beans from Tectonic and Portola for most of the past ~4 months. I think I hit up Keen once during the stretch too.

1 Like

Shout out to you!

They’ve been in business for 30 years.

5 Likes

Gotta go for the African beans at that price point, right!?! Have had that Kenyan and was impressed but have not tried that Ethiopian. I’ve never come across a sidamo I haven’t liked!

2 Likes

Is to cliche to say natural Ethiopians got me into coffee?

I remember the barista recommending it and he let me smelled the grounds and the aroma hit me…blueberries! Like what?!? Then the taste it was so smooth with those wonderful berry notes. I was hooked. I can’t believe all my life up to this point I never drank this.

Thank you guys for all the names of these different roasters/shops!

1 Like

African beans is a default setting for those of us into acidic lighter roast non murky stuff

1 Like

Just picked up a bag of TB&TB’s “Experiment MMC1” along with a chocolate cinnamon role (only pastry left at 11am). Will have to anxiously wait until tomorrow morning to try the beans out since I’ve already had my morning coffee for the day, but the chocolate cinnamon role is definitely hitting the spot!

2 Likes

The Ethiopian is wonderful . Lighter roast than my usual spot and huge berry aroma

You can have 2 cups a day, no issue imo