Coffee beans worth a drive

Had it all the time in Hanoi. Very sweet and custardy.

1 Like

Is it any sweeter than Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk? Or similar to that with some froth?

1 Like

Similar sweetness, though calling it froth isn’t quite right. It’s almost like a floating mousse on top of the coffee.

1 Like

I sometimes drive to Maru Arts District as a change of pace to Verve, which has the world’s best coffee or close to it. Pour over Colombian coffee from Maru today was good, sweet blueberry, reminded me of a natural Ethiopian coffee. Always a line of mostly Asian women. Don’t know why Asian women love Maru so much.

Probably because Maru is Korean. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

fyi, steroescope on sunset currently has a couple beans from diego bermudez that are pretty great:
k1 - lemongrass, lemon-lime soda, great texture
rt - white peach yogurt, pineapple;
the tasting notes are roughly accurate. i would always advise that these are 10x better in espresso form than pourover, but the character of the beans is still clear in pourover form…

their other beans currently that ive tried (columbia santuario, finca don rafa) are also pretty great.
this location seems to have gotten busier in recent times, but one can always shortcut the line by ordering online…

1 Like

Out of towner visiting our local spots

3 Likes

Goodboybob (Culver City), Maru (Arts District), Be Bright (smorgasbord) are also amazing.

1 Like

Nice to see one of my favorite SD roaster at my local Whole Foods. Bird Rock is a great stop before or after Wayfarer Pastry a few blocks away.

2 Likes

There’s been signage up for Equator Coffees in the old Paramount Coffee Project space on Fairfax

2 Likes

Really liked Paramount coffee preoperative hope the new one is good!

2 Likes

Same I miss sitting at that bar/counter they had along the wall with drip and a croissant

2 Likes

Equator Coffee is one of the better coffee roasters up here in the Bay Area (and at least at their Sausalito shop they have a quite good food menu, sandwich etc)

2 Likes

This new coffee at Dayglow Silver Lake is amazing: Hayma, Yemen – Dayglow.

I drink pourover coffee once or twice every day, and this is the most interesting coffee I’ve tasted in recent memory.

2 Likes

My homage to Don Schoenholt from Giles coffee in NY who was so generous with his knowledge in the old newsgroup alt.coffee. I still have a post of his saved somewhere about about the old timey Mocha Java blends. It really does make a nice drip. Basicly equal parts beans from Yemen & Java with a touch of Malabar for funk and body.

It’s nice to have a roaster who has enough freshly roasted beans I can play around like this when I want a break from single origins

4 Likes

I’ve heard rave reviews of Yemeni coffee but never had. We recently drove by this place in Fullerton. Has anybody been here. I am hoping to try this weekend or next weekend. It seemed crowded when we drove by.

3 Likes

I don’t know why Yemen coffee is so good – whether it’s the beans or the processing methods. But the two best coffees I’ve ever had were both from Yemen.

Qamaria looks like a fun stop on our next trip through OC.

1 Like

Sey Coffee, Brooklyn.

Coffee Movement, San Francisco.

If you guys are ever in SF or BK. These coffees blew my mind. Not worth a flight but worth it if you are in town. Also Saint Frank in SF was also freakin good.

4 Likes

Flat Brown at Portola. This is a pretty tasty treat and more balanced than a mocha.

3 Likes

I’ve had to switch to decaf recently and the two best ones I’ve had in recent memory are from Loquat Coffee in Cypress Park and Kuma Coffee (Seattle)…natural process Ethiopian beans that actually taste great if brewed well.

Sharing in case anyone else is in the same boat and looking for something good to try.

2 Likes