Coffee beans worth a drive

Hadn’t heard of them before, but they look great. Thanks for the tip! So much coffee to try…

Bodhi Leave Coffee Trader in Yorba Linda is truly a hidden gem.

1 Like

No driving (all delivery), but Tectonic is selling at wholesale prices right now.
https://tectoniccoffee.com/collections/wholesale

3 Likes

I ordered a few bags from Tectonic. They roast on Sunday and deliver Monday. I’m not familiar with them but I like trying out new beans.

Anybody familiar with Tentera in DTLA?

1 Like

Nice find, not too many roasters around (at least in So Cal) that specializes only in Indonesian beans.

@bruins thanks for the recommendation for Tectonic. We really enjoyed the Ethiopia Hambela beans. They’ve lowered prices even more. 12 ounce bags are $9.50 to $13.30. If you order 2 bags with shipping it will come out to less than what you pay for beans at any store.
Highly recommend.

2 Likes

I also like Tectonic coffee. Haven’t had their beans in a while, but they used to be called Take Flight Coffee and I stumbled across a free coffee event they were doing at the The Row one weekend. The owners were chatting with everyone and seemed like great people. Hope they are doing well! Might be time to order some of their beans online for delivery.

Key of Kenyan and Peruvian early morning reup from Toasted and Roasted

3 Likes

City Bean Roasters on Jefferson in West Adams has been one of my go-to’s for the past couple of years. They’ve also been hit pretty hard by the pandemic since a majority of their sales are to restaurants and hotels in the area. Due to this they’ve dropped their prices to increase sales to the public and most 12oz bags are down to $10. They accept Venmo and also had Chemex filters when I was there a couple of weeks ago!

The Boy & The Bear has a few locations on the West side (Redondo, Westchester, Mar Vista) and specializes in Colombian beans only. Colombia has always been my favorite coffee region due to the variety of flavor profiles that come out of there so TB&TB quickly shot to the top of my list upon trying them for the first time earlier this year.

5 Likes

I picked up a bag of Ethiopian beans and a bottle of cold brew from Trinity in San Pedro the other day. Very small operation, just the guy Paul and his wife, but I’ve been very pleased with the beans. He’s a super nice and talkative dude, native Angeleno, and I’ve enjoyed chatting with him over social media aside from saying hey when I picked up. He does also deliver and ship beans, too.

(and a visit to San Pedro is a great excuse to stop by Chori-Man on the way there and Torrance on the way back)

5 Likes

Oh Damn. Thanks for the shout, that’s within my range, I’ll do that next

1 Like

Verve has my favorite coffee beans. (Intelligentsia is also great.). Dandelion has my favorite chocolate. Why? Because they are not heavily roasted, so you get lots of fruity flavors and complexity, and you taste the terroir. The downside is the acidity is high, which takes some getting used to.

PSA (@bruins, @js76wisco): Tectonic is ending their wholesale pricing for beans. UNLESS you submit an order by the end of July, then you get grandfathered in to wholesale pricing indefinitely. If you purchased beans during lockdown you are already grandfathered in.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I bought beans from Tectonic a few times so I think I’m grandfathered in for the wholesale pricing. Very happy with their beans especially the single origin varietals recently.

1 Like

I was actually intrigued but after trying to check out I realised that paying for shipping is making the price basically as much as my local micro Toasted and Roasted and they give me cups coffee for buying beans :slight_smile: Also sweet peeps

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I hopped on and picked out a birthday gift for a coworker who loves coffee. I love that it’s roasted on Sunday and then shipped on Monday. This will be a real treat.

2 Likes

It’s good stuff. For what it’s worth, the beans tend to be delivered to me in Santa Monica on Tuesday (most often) or Wednesday.

1 Like

Note that I found interesting: Many coffee pros mention that it is best to wait 5-7 days after beans are roasted to allow for off-gassing and get optimal taste.

So, best to keep the beans in their bag or a jar with a one-way valve until 5-7 days after roasting date.

1 Like

As not a coffee connoisseur, I’m learning a whole lot. I’ll have to mention it to him when he gets his package.

1 Like

haha, it is such a minor detail in the whole array of “getting the perfect cup” that it might not even be worth mentioning. I just know a lot of people on FTC have or desire really deep knowledge about food-related topics, so I mentioned it. There is probably a list of a hundred things that are more important to getting a tasty cup of coffee than “Be sure to off-gas your beans! They might be too fresh!” :sweat_smile:

2 Likes