Coffee beans worth a drive

Shout out to you!

They’ve been in business for 30 years.

5 Likes

Gotta go for the African beans at that price point, right!?! Have had that Kenyan and was impressed but have not tried that Ethiopian. I’ve never come across a sidamo I haven’t liked!

2 Likes

Is to cliche to say natural Ethiopians got me into coffee?

I remember the barista recommending it and he let me smelled the grounds and the aroma hit me…blueberries! Like what?!? Then the taste it was so smooth with those wonderful berry notes. I was hooked. I can’t believe all my life up to this point I never drank this.

Thank you guys for all the names of these different roasters/shops!

1 Like

African beans is a default setting for those of us into acidic lighter roast non murky stuff

1 Like

Just picked up a bag of TB&TB’s “Experiment MMC1” along with a chocolate cinnamon role (only pastry left at 11am). Will have to anxiously wait until tomorrow morning to try the beans out since I’ve already had my morning coffee for the day, but the chocolate cinnamon role is definitely hitting the spot!

2 Likes

The Ethiopian is wonderful . Lighter roast than my usual spot and huge berry aroma

You can have 2 cups a day, no issue imo

Nice! I haven’t seen Experiment MMC1. Might be new?

I think I have tried most of their beans. The beans that I keep going back to are called “Natural & Organic”. They are my current favorite beans of any roaster that I have tried. They have a balance of chocolate-y depth and cherry/stonefruit acidity and sweetness that I really like when I brew them in my V60 or Chemex.

https://theboyandthebear.com/products/natural-organic

3 Likes

Anyone know who makes this grinder (pic stolen from Tulip House’s insta)?

NASA lol

3 Likes

I initially mistook it for an atomic force microscope …

Looks like this grinder from Weber Workshops.

1 Like

@ysancia Wow thanks!

This was an un-Googleable grinder.

1 Like

It’s an amazing grinder made (or designed) in Japan. You can buy it for the low low price of $7000! :rofl:

They also make a beautiful manual hand cranked model called the HG-1

1 Like

KafaTek also makes similar looking flat burr grinders. These things are like the end game grinders for espresso enthusiasts.

1 Like

Dang, these Weber and KafaTek grinders are a whole other world. Another dangerous rabbit hole… :grimacing:

To answer OPs question about other great coffees I’ve had recently: Dayglow’s recent run of Manhattan Coffee Roasters (curiously not from NYC, lol) was excellent. And if you want to support local folks, it’s been fun to see Go Get Em Tiger branch out into naturals and other things beyond their typical washed Ethiopia preference. Beyond that, I also enjoyed coffeeblxck’s “guji mane” because it’s named after a great rapper and it’s a great, flavorful coffee. (Currently brewing everything at home w/ a Kalita Wave, in case anyone was wondering…)

This might be getting into “post splitting” territory but Chris of Tulip House was also quoted extensively in this NYT/Wirecutter article about fancy grinders including the aforementioned Lyn Weber and Kafatek.

1 Like

You can tell the folks from Tulip are serious after responding in detail my brewing process to determine the proper grind. :ok_hand:

1 Like

One more again

3 Likes

How’s the Papua New Guinea??

Haven’t opened any of them. Will report back