Colette - an American brunch eatery that is now a Chinese restaurant powerhouse

Half order.

DAMN!! Thanks, now I know to adjust my order around that… Looks busy… I assume reservation recommended for a Friday?

They said that last night was the busiest night they ever had (a Saturday). I think the word is slowly getting out as well. We got there at 6 and they had some spare tables. Around 7 pm it was completely full. Then around 8:30 tables opened up for walkins

Easy to call for a reservation. Also stuff like Sticky Rice Lobster, herbal chicken soup and Curry Crab are special order off menu stuff when you reserve. Apparently Soy Sauce chicken is the real item to get off menu. Ordered it tomorrow for lunch - will tell ya’ll what the rest of the dining compatriots say

10 Likes

my bar is so low who knows.

Does their menu have the call ahead dishes? Or do you have to call and ask?

call and ask.

Went for lunch with the Shoku and HHI teams for lunch.

Got another off menu dish that the chef is very well known for. Clay pot soy sauce chicken. Didn’t try it but everyone enjoyed it. One person said a touch salty cause we didn’t have rice to absorb the sauce.

Salted egg with loofah

Never had loofah cooked this way. Almost like zucchini where it’s a little crunchy on the outside still. Not the braised version I’m so used to eating. Really good. Could have used more salted egg but might start cooking my loofah like this at home, not quite sure how they keep the texture as it breaks down so quickly and absorbs so much liquid when cooking.

Salted egg yolk with prawns - well battered with plump well cooked shrimp. Could use more salted egg today. But still delicious.

Braised tofu and mushroom

Incredibly simple dish but braised perfectly. Tofu skin still had good structure and silky smooth on the inside.

Salt and pepper squid - table not only devoured the squid but ate all the crispy scraps.

Chicken leg stuffed with sticky rice - also devoured by the table

Big boi lobster

Fried pork knuckle

Almond beef

One of the guys said it’s like an almond sticky candy almost with a very thin slice of beef layered inside then stacked.

Honey coated prawns

Winnie would have loved this as it’s covered in sweet rich honey. I could have used a little less honey but the prawn itself was nice

19 Likes

are the shells edible a la lotus of siam?

Also welcome partially back to the dark side!

yeah edible - similar to Lotus and Bistro Na but a lot more honeyed.

2 Likes

Only a matter of time before Kristie Hang and Eater LA gets in on this!

4 Likes

got @Clayfu’enced so gathered a crew, preordered some dishes and headed north of the 210.

will need to come back for the curry crab which they couldn’t get for our dinner.

@Bagel @noddles review forthcoming?

sergio

crispy stuffed chicken - deboned air-dried chicken, shrimp paste

skin was nice and crispy and coated with some panko? underneath. a bit light on the shrimp flavor.

curry beef brisket - beef brisket with house curry soup

good curry, tender brisket.

crispy honey shrimp - honey glazed crispy whole shrimp

sweet, shells not as thin and crispy as lotus of siam.

colette kung pao chicken - spicy diced chicken with peanut, chili pepper, stir-fried

recommended by the gm, nicely executed.

seafood pouch in pumpkin soup - pumpkin soup with seafood pouch stuffed with scallop, shrimp

a table favorite. pouch was made of egg whites, a play on egg drop soup?

golden yolk luffa - angled luffa stir fried with salted egg yolk

nice and crispy

stuffed chicken wings - braised chicken wings stuffed with sticky fried rice

this was when fifty shades of hei @chrishei called in a caviar airdrop. a few minutes later @Clayfu very generously drops off two tins of astrea. thank you for for your support.

@hppzz’s quenelles need some work.

bite of the night

lobster with sticky fried rice

this was great, the delicious sticky rice was the “sauce.”

well-done beef vermicelli - crispy stir-fried vermicelli with beef

another highlight

steamed red grouper

wagyu truffle fried rice - fried rice with diced miyazaki wagyu and black truffles

for all the @moonboy403’s who need their wagyu and truffles with every meal.

fin

28 Likes

Damnnnnn looks like an epic feast including some @Clayfu caviar!?!?

3 Likes

Sergio is from Embassy. Nice outdoor patio with lots of heat torches. The chicken has a longer lead time in wet weather. Pre-order at least 48 hours ahead in this weather.

3 Likes

Do you have to pre-order the pressed chicken?

Absolutely.

1 Like

They seem to have a lot of them hanging in the kitchen. It’s on the actual menu but we have always pre ordered when booking the res

3 Likes

A very good meal here, we ordered all the popular dishes, lobster with sticky fried rice, crispy stuffed chicken, sweet and sour pork, steamed kinki, beef vermicelli, stuffed chicken wings, tofu and mushroom, beef brisket curry, golden yolk luffa
Even one of the guys we went with said the Lobster was good and he thinks lobster is gross (cockroaches of the sea)

favorites: Beef vermicelli, Lobster, crispy stuffed chicken, sweet and sour pork, tofu and mushroom, and always #steamedfishforever

10 Likes

what was damage with the steam fish(s)? our 1 fish turned out to cost nearly the same as the lobster, 170 vs 180…so the lobster to us was the much better QPR esp if you factor in the sticky rice. prob wont get that fish again

2 Likes

i didn’t see the bill but the total without T&T was around $600, a third of it being the 5lb lobster.

2 Likes

Any picture of that dish? :drooling_face: