[Coming Soon] Ramen Nagi - Century City Westfield

chain expansions in the US are all soooo bad.

2 Likes

My morning started full of hope and before lunch I have been brought back to reality :pleading_face:
This is like Howlin’ Ray’s expanding to Tokyo and serving hamburgers.

Ramen Nagi’s brand is strictly about Niboshi. I just don’t get it.
I mean look at their website, it’s audacious: http://www.n-nagi.com/

Those fish are NIBOSHI!
Their catchphrase is " すごい!煮干ラーメン" “Wow! Niboshi Ramen!”

I understand expanding to the U.S., but why dilute the brand? Open under a different name…

7 Likes

a friend visited Nagi japan recently. . looks so good.

Capture

1 Like

Niboshi - I wonder how that will do here. Bangaichi was a lot more niboshi heavy when they first opened. I can’t taste it anymore there.

It looks like there will be exactly zero niboshi unfortunately.
For my niboshi soupnoodle fix, I go to Ma Dang Gook Soo in KTown.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/ma-dang-gook-soo-los-angeles

Which Bangaichi soup had niboshi? They were Asahikawa-style shoyu ramen.
Edit: Upon further research it looks like niboshi is a common component of Asahikawa-style ramen! Thanks, @coffeezeri.

3 Likes

Korean anchovy-based broth noodles is doing crazy business at Hyesung in K-town.

#donotunderestimatethegaijinpalate

4 Likes

It was never stated but the dashi in the shoyu ramen when they first opened in Silver Lake definitely had niboshi. It was incredibly strong and I noticed it right away. The flavor profile changed within 6 months.

3 Likes

Ramen Nagi USA website

The Singapore menu is virtually identical

http://ramennagi.com.sg/menu/

What I also don’t get is how some speculated that it was difficult to import the same kind of niboshi they use in Japan for over here (or whatever were the restrictions) that contributed to the reason of them changing the theme to tonkotsu. That can’t be why… considering Taishoken USA did keep the niboshi flavors in their dipping broth…

It’s an even bigger WTF for Nagi Singapore…I mean who in Singapore hasn’t had dried seafood pungent flavors like dried shrimp, salted fish, dried scallops etc etc? Niboshi would be familiar territory…sigh.

This reminds me of classic Hong Kong / Guangzhou Cantonese won ton noodles problems we have in California. The broth should traditionally be a pork/chicken base enhanced with shrimp shells, shrimp roe (very very important) roasted dried tilefish (dried first then roasted over charcoal for the gangsta master chefs) that is the vital component to the umami and complexity of the soup, akin to niboshi for OG Nagi, and the aroma enhancer of a little bit of lard. Go to your typical Hong Kong cafe in California (North or South) or that roasties Hong Kong cafe deli shop that serves won ton noodles and be prepared to taste diluted Swanson’s chicken broth with coarse MSG crystals. I’ll let others chime in on shortcut pho as appropriate, or tasting Cantonese red bean dessert soup at a high end seafood restaurant that has no aged/dried orange peel.

For the price of a bowl of Nagi, I guess I’d rather have a Langer’s pastrami sandwich for a buck more… at least I know that is legit AF.

5 Likes

Its popular niboshi ramen - made with more than 20 types of dried sardines - is not available outside of Japan, says chef Ikuta, in order to ensure the freshness of the stock.

However, Nagi in Singapore will not offer its popular niboshi ramen, which is served in broth made with more than 20 types of dried sardines. That version of the noodles is not available outside of Japan, says chef Ikuta, because it is difficult to replicate the stock.

2 Likes

Thanks for the article link. That is sadly the lamest reason I’ve ever heard to justify making their signature niboshi enhanced broth not available.

JFC/Mutual etc, they sell different kinds of niboshi for restaurants. While it may not be as great quality as the ones in Japan (since there are many varieties), some of these exported ones are really no slouch but you can only buy them wholesale if you have a license/business. I’ve tasted sample stock made with dried mackeral (saba) and it’s freakin amazing (even a few industry friends say those are very good). So…

3 Likes

I could’ve sworn they sell all kinds of dried sardines at Mitsuwa. Do you think it’s because the restaurant assumes no one will eat it in Los Angeles?

If you consider how slow Bangaichi is compared to the other tonkotsu based ramen places a couple of miles down, the business decision to go tonkotsu makes sense. Niboshi is readily available but the dashi extraction can be tricky. Heads and guts need to be removed for a clean tasting stock. BTW, according to the crew at Bangaichi, the crappy non-Made in Japan commodity shoyu has also been a problem. The salinity differs per shoyu batch from Kikkoman or whatever and that creates inconsistent results in the soup.

1 Like

Hmmm those supermarket dried baby sardines are ok for home use but maybe not for restaurants.

I don’t speak for Nagi but it sounds like a possibility of any of the following combinations for the possible reasons being nay (Ramen NAYgi ?:fish::ramen::no_good_man:t2::man_shrugging:t2::man_facepalming:t2:).

• Some people might not like it, or those not used to it might find it overbearing (and also those who have little to no exposure of dried seafood that is rehydrated: salted fish, fish maw, dried scallop, dried abalone). If anyone has visited Tai O fishing village in Lantau Island Hong Kong, or dropped into a fried seafood and goods shop in Sheung Wan, you might be able to relate.

• Americans (including many Asian Americans) can’t get enough of tonkotsu broth and will line up hours for a bowl, especially if it’s a hot and new import. Same reasons why they love 200% sugar and carbs in their boba even if the baseline tea is no good. Plus it’s an easy monkey maker. Just like Dustin Hoffman’s character said in Chef movie, you’d be upset (the non FTC crowd) if Rolling Stones didn’t play “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction” at a live show. For me I’d say “Gimme Shelter” because a tonkotsu is threatenin’ my gourmet life today…

• Essentially the above but overseas Nagi in Asia has been tried and true as tonkotsu focused, they don’t want to break the mold… or maybe they just want to face head to head on with Ippudo and Ichiran…

• the kind of niboshi Nagi uses in Japan may have a higher cost to make into broth for ramen once over here (to import), and/or higher labor cost to train people on how to cook it, perhaps a bit far fetched.

Last but not least OG Shinjuku Nagi is neighborhood 24 hour ramen that’s lifesaving for those who went around clubbing and or bar hopping / munchie running / bang bang bang bang and want to fill up their stomach at the end of the evening with it so not to let the alcohol runneth over… perhaps this OG legit heavy duty bowl doesn’t yield the upscale high end chain image it is trying to achieve overseas? When was the last time you saw Americans pull the Japanese bang bang and end with ramen and looking elegantly wasted?

5 Likes

Not sure if it was the OG Shinjuku location, but I had a great meal at the Golden Gai location several years ago. Lining up in a cramped alley late at night, then finally squeezing through the narrow staircase to the tiny bar on the 2nd floor. That niboshi broth for my tsukemen was deep and intense, and they have a sardine-infused vinegar to kick it up a few notches. Damn I wish they would serve a version here, I’d settle for even a 50% intense version!

7 Likes

I’ve been there is that also a ramen nagi? Was the only place open at 530 am when I woke up from my jet lag.

Yup this is the tabelog link for the 24-hour location I went to - the English translation of the name just runs all the words together, but the full name is Sugoi Niboshi Ramen Nagi.

1 Like

On the note of Niboshi… if anyone is ever in Osaka you MUST go to Sanku.

The best ramen bowl I’ve ever had, here’s a little write up I did on my IG.

4 Likes

As a longtime Century City denizen, I can affirm that apparently we can’t have nice things in Century City.

On another topic, I’ve been sick and had Daikokuya spicy ramen delivered from its Sawtelle location in an attempt to clear my sinuses. That was definitely the worst ramen I have ever had (and was not particularly spicy). It had a very odd taste, was beyond greasy and perhaps a result of delivery (although I have had delivery ramen before), but the noodles were just this gross clumped gelatinous mass. It was actually disgusting except for the boiled egg that came with it, which was fine. Now this Ramen Nagi can’t be that bad, can it?

Hi @Omotesando,

Sorry to hear, hope you feel better! :frowning: Next time, maybe consider ordering from Sichuan Impression on Santa Monica Blvd. (near that Daikokuya). They have dishes that travel well and will probably clear our your sinuses better, with things like:

• Boiled Fish with Rattan Peppers (Boneless Grey Sole Fillets, Bean Sprouts, Black Fungus, Rattan Pepper, Green Peppercorn) - this is essentially the “green version” of Water Boiled Fish that some FTC’ers were asking about last year.

• Mapo Tofu - Excellent version.

• Boiled Fish Fillets in Chili Sauce - This is their version of the Szechuan classic, “Water Boiled Fish” (the red version).

And various other dishes. Enjoy. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am thinking Hai Di Lao will be a nice addition. Their locations are fairly consistent although I do enjoy the Arcadia branch the most, which is located in the Westfield Mall.

1 Like