Coming soon to Santa Monica -- DIM SUM (?!)

Also if we’re just talking religious people that takes away like 3/4 of us jews!

I deleted those stats because they’re clearly wrong.

I think there may be no reliable stats below the county level.

I was not really offended (as a Jew) but perhaps I was (a little) as a Westsider! Not really “offended” but found it an odd statement. The idea that a Chinese joint should treat it’s Westside preps differently because of the Westside’s Jewish population is strange (to me). Jews are everywhere.
Of course, I am well aware how they (often) dumb-down the spice levels, or dumb-up the sweet-goupy level in less Chinese enclaves. So perhaps this isn’t all that different - no restaurant wants send-backs. I just don’t think this is something that will lead to send-backs. Anyone who cares about shellfish and pork content will steer clear or ask questions appropriately.

2 Likes

Should also add that I am well aware - as @chandavkl correctly notes - there are quite a few Jews who do not keep Kosher but eschew pork and shellfish. I just don’t expect a Chinese restaurant to be aware of this (no matter where they are operating). And I do expect that these (semi-Kosher) Jews will be very careful to ask about their dietary issues and not to expect a chicken shu mai to be free of pork or shellfish (no matter where they are eating it).

1 Like

Someone will need to chime in whether they actually give you a menu and pencil to write these down. If so….

I expect that restaurants inside the eruv are more likely to make extra effort to disclose any pork, shellfish, or other trayf ingredients.

3 Likes

Going kind of OT here, but I am flat out amazed and immediately needed to see this fishing line.

6 Likes

How are those Dodgers doing??? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All over various parts of the valley as well.

It’s one of our great loopholes.

2 Likes

You might say “We have this wired.” There is even an “eruv hotline” one can call to make sure the eruv is intact.

3 Likes

I think Shabbat elevators are a pretty good loophole. :wink:

2 Likes

The WLA eruv is fairly easy to follow. Once you find it you’ll realize you’ve seen it hundreds of times before.